New to Overclocking

ocnnor

I am building a new PC tomorrow and want to give overclocking a try (Ive heard it becomes an addiction!). I have done a lot of research, reading, and watching videos on overclocking. I think I understand how, but I feel like I dont understand what a lot of the bios settings ACTUALLY MEAN and a lot of the terminology and abbr. are over my head. Can anyone provide a good link to overclocking guides, basic and advanced. Also, some sort of resource for terminology would be nice :)

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3

i7-2600K with Scythe Ninja 3 Heatsink/Fan

8G GSkill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB

Thermaltake Armor A90 Mid Tower with Corsair HX Series 650W PSU

Thanks is advance for any help!

Ben

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ocnnor - the major challenge when reading the guides and watching the videos is that not a single motherboard maker uses the same nomenclature (naming) for the various BIOS options. So understanding the abbr. and terminology is going to be real specific to your board. The principle remains the same, but the practice is a little different.

The main thing to remember on socket 1155 is that you don't do much overclocking via changing the base clock (commonly referred to as the "BCLK") The majority of your overclocking will consist of changing the CPU multiplier. Your final CPU clock speed is determined by;

bclk * cpu multiplier = final cpu operating frequency

an example on the 2600k would be 101(bclk) * 40(cpu multiplier) = 4.04Ghz

Once you have a grasp on that fairly simple concept - it's all about voltage tweaking and adjusting your memory multiplier (and resulting memory frequency) to keep your memory operating at a speed that it is rated for or capable of.

Once you get your rig together, give us a shout and I'll download your motherboard manual and we can help you out. There are already a couple of P67 pros hanging around here that can give you some expert advice :)

I'm thinking maybe El_Capitan will stop by and give us some assistance.

IVIYTH0S, thats good to hear! :) I have read about the old days and the challenge (yet fun) overclocking once was.

Thanks for the advice and fast response wevsspot! I will be putting together the new rig in the next few days and will report back when everything is up and running smoothly!

I have another question, about my (crappy) HDD. I have a standard 7200, 1tb HDD with a SATA2 connection. To what degree is this gona bottleneck my system? How will it limit the effects of overclocking on my overall system? (is there even a point to overclocking with that slow of a HDD?) Is it time to invest in a SSD?

Thanks, ocnnor

Edited by ocnnor

You'll be fine, what kind of drive is it?? My friend's 2500K machine has a 5900RPM drive and it's still VERY fast and overclocked to 4.5ghz. As long as it's not very old, it will perform well!

You'll be fine, what kind of drive is it?? My friend's 2500K machine has a 5900RPM drive and it's still VERY fast and overclocked to 4.5ghz. As long as it's not very old, it will perform well!

It is a Seagate, about 2 weeks old.

Ivy - did you mean a 5400 RPM drive? :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413R&cm_re=2tb_lp-_-22-148-413R-_-Product

nope ;)

Since the drive is only a couple weeks old I'm almost 100% sure it's to to be a .12 if it's from the 7200 series.

Is this the drive you've got?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

Most likely so, if it's anything similar to my dad's 7200.12 500GB drive it's awesome

Well shiver me timbers IVI :)

I always tell new members they'll learn new stuff every day around here - and here you are giving me a little schooling on 5900 RPM hard drives. Honestly didn't know about that one.