Replace Comcast modem

Demo3

What would be my best choice to replace my Comcast cable modem, I have the Triple Play plan so I would need to have the phone modem also. I like there setup because it uses a separate modem for the phone so there is no bandwidth shearing and it has a battery backup. I don't mind the lectures about this setup but I am married and for those who are... you know what that means.

Hi Demo. I can't personally help you with your question, but I did want to welcome you to OCC. We are glad to have you hear.

To help educate me..............

Comcast has two cable leads that come into your house? One for your internet connection and one for your phone line?

To help educate me..............

Comcast has two cable leads that come into your house? One for your internet connection and one for your phone line?

No just one line into the house then into the modem, then we just plug any phone receptacle into the phone plug on the modem and then we have VOIP on all the phones.

why do you want to replace the cable modem?

I bought my own at walmart (Motorola cable modem) and its the same one Comcast offers most of the time...there isnt any real difference in modems or achievable speeds...

why do you want to replace the cable modem?

I bought my own at walmart (Motorola cable modem) and its the same one Comcast offers most of the time...there isnt any real difference in modems or achievable speeds...

My wife has decided that she does not want to pay the rental fee... that's all I am going to say.

So you are saying that the one you got from Wally has the phone modem as well and the cable?

I have Comcast and use a Linksys cable modem - I never did use the one Comcast provided. I later switched from a land line to Vonage VOIP and I just plug the phone unit into one of the ports on the cable modem. I'm assuming it would work the same way with Comcast's phone adapter.

One thing about using your own cable modem though - you can't just plug it in and expect it to work. You have to call up Comcast and get them to reset things and then register your modem. Should take just a few minutes once you get them on the line. Problem is - your phone won't work until the cable modem is registered, so you'll need to call them on a cell phone.

My wife has decided that she does not want to pay the rental fee... that's all I am going to say.

So you are saying that the one you got from Wally has the phone modem as well and the cable?

In your case I don't think you can buy your own cable modem as long as you have VOIP through Comcast

When you have cable internet it is typically setup in two ways if your only paying for cable internet then typically you get a regular cable modem that you can buy anywhere but if you get phone service from your cable provider they give you a special cable modem which

typically is a cable modem with a VOIP gateway built in which connects to Comcast VOIP service based on what I have read Comcast does not allow its customers to buy that special Cable/VOIP modem.

So you really can't get rid of that cable modem unless you get rid of Comcast VOIP service

What I would do is ditch the Comcast VOIP there are better cheaper VOIP providers out there and if your worried about have a phone when the power goes out just buy a UPS and plug the cable modem, router, VOIP gateway, and cordless phone and signal booster if your

house has one into it and your phone service should work when the power goes out unless the cable lines go down.

Also you could get a cell phone and leave it in the house for emergencies because cell towers typically have backup power generators and the connections to the cell tower usually aren't as vulnerable as ones hanging on power line poles.

Edited by fire_storm

I've ditched all of my land line phone connections and use strictly cell. If you absolutely MUST have phone service then - like mentioned earlier I think there are better and cheaper alternatives than those offered by your cable company. That probably won't help you out with a frustrated wife though :(

Thanks for the suggestions... we will have to weigh all of them. One way Comcast lures you in is through there pricing tiers. If you get one option it cost you $50 for example, if you get two it cost you $20 more and if you get three it is $10 more. If you buy them separately it would cost $150. Looking at it that way if you get VOIP by itself it is $50, if you get it with TV it cost you $20, if you get it with TV and internet it only cost you $10 a month. My wish would be to ditch TV and phone and go with internet TV and over the air HD, but they cut us a deal and we get all three for $99.