oc question

Hi Folks, moving this post to this section on Speedways advice, ty again Speedway. I have a quad AMD BE and when I change the multiplier from 15 to 18 or higher only core 1 shows the higher mhz, cores 2-3-4 stay at stock mhz, Is this the way it is supposed to work or should all cores go higher. I use aida 64 for the results so I know what each core is set at. thanks in advance.

cpu -amd phenom x2 550 be 3.1 running at x4 3.3 to 3.8

asus-m4a785-m 4gb kingston ddr2 @ 800mhz

Ultra 650 watt psu

Evga 460 gtx 768 mb running at 800 mhz- 1950 mhz ram

Runs great at load no bsod as long as i don't run fsb pass 5% oc

Try turning on ACC, and/or unleashing mode.

Have both turned on, also cool&quiet disabled, the only time all cores clock up is when I raise the fsb, with multi only core 1 raises mhz, was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to work, ?? With both fsb and multi all cores take the higher fsb oc but the multi only affects core 1.

i would guess that all cores should be running at the same speeds. Try overclocking with the Multi and check the whole CPU speed in CPU-Z. You'll know if the speed is correct if it's equal to the Mutliplier x FSB. If FSB is 200 and multi is for example 18 then the CPU speed will be 3600Mhz. or 3.6Ghz. If your calculation is correct but the cpu speed is different in CPU then something is wrong. If it's as it should be, then maybe the speed is simply not equal for all cores which wouldn't make much sense though...

It's also possible that you've got faulty cores. Don't think that the only way they could be broken is if the PC doesn't boot up when you've unlocked them. It's possible that they are simple defective in some different way. For safety try returning to 2 cores and see if the FSB and multiplier work correctly. That way you'll know if it's the 2 extra cores or not.

I've got the same CPU and I used to be able to unlock to a quad but had other problems. Recently when I gave it another go I couldn't even unlock the 2 cores, or even 1. Doesn't really bother me but it's just weird. There's a reason for the 550 beeing a dual and not a quad.

i would guess that all cores should be running at the same speeds. Try overclocking with the Multi and check the whole CPU speed in CPU-Z. You'll know if the speed is correct if it's equal to the Mutliplier x FSB. If FSB is 200 and multi is for example 18 then the CPU speed will be 3600Mhz. or 3.6Ghz. If your calculation is correct but the cpu speed is different in CPU then something is wrong. If it's as it should be, then maybe the speed is simply not equal for all cores which wouldn't make much sense though...

It's also possible that you've got faulty cores. Don't think that the only way they could be broken is if the PC doesn't boot up when you've unlocked them. It's possible that they are simple defective in some different way. For safety try returning to 2 cores and see if the FSB and multiplier work correctly. That way you'll know if it's the 2 extra cores or not.

I've got the same CPU and I used to be able to unlock to a quad but had other problems. Recently when I gave it another go I couldn't even unlock the 2 cores, or even 1. Doesn't really bother me but it's just weird. There's a reason for the 550 beeing a dual and not a quad.

Sounds like a plan, will try it tomorrow and post back (12;30 am wherei'm at ) thanks for the input all.

Hey there people back again, took it to almost 3600 mhz with fsb and was same on 4 cores, ran stable , so that points to cpu being good, still when i use multi to raise it only shows on 1 core with aida 64, cpuid shows 4 cores at oc speed, so it might be that aida64 just don't read it right. Still when i use aida64 to check fsb oc it shows the higher clock on the 4 cores. I guess it's working fine but i just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. 2 cores or 4 it's still a damm good cpu for under a $100 bucks,lol. Here is the link to last oc

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1749363