considering a new laptop

eisbar

Hey guys

as the title said, im considering a new laptop. I decided im not going to bother upgraded anything in my pc atm.

Now, im pretty much on a tight budget, of around 1.3 grand. I'm going with dell. I get a 10% discount on Dell XPS systems and 5% off Inspirion.

at the moment its between two laptops. it will primary be used for gaming/lan (l4d2, BC2, COD4, and of course, minecraft) at my mates house while also just schooling/uni stuff. i want it to last for atleast 2-3 years.

Remember, im from Australia so this will need to be in aus dollars from Dell Aus

1. XPS 15.6" (Customized it)

cpu: i7 2630m

gpu: GT540m

ram: 4gb (1x 4gb) figured i could add another 4gb if i wanted for less than what they ask.

hdd: 640gb 7200rpm - dont need anymore, have heaps of space on my desktop and portable hdd

battery: 6 cell

Total: $1,247 after 10%

2. Inspiron 15r (15.6") (cant customize)

cpu: i7 2630m

gpu: GT525m ----> worse gpu?

ram: 8gb ram (2x4gb)

hdd: 640gb 5400rpm - dont need anymore, have heaps of space on my desktop and portable hdd ---> slower hard drive

battery: 6 cell

Total: $1223 after 5%

Cheers for any help

I'm confused, in your post you say you can customize the XPS but can't customize the Inspiron, but when I click the links, dell is showing it the other way around. With the XPS not customizable and the Inspiron having customization.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU there, from what I can tell, those two have just about the same performance. Here are some links if you want to see for yourself, GT525M and GT540M.

Personally I would go with the Inspiron as I think it can take on the games you're looking to play.

I'm confused, in your post you say you can customize the XPS but can't customize the Inspiron, but when I click the links, dell is showing it the other way around. With the XPS not customizable and the Inspiron having customization.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU there, from what I can tell, those two have just about the same performance. Here are some links if you want to see for yourself, GT525M and GT540M.

Personally I would go with the Inspiron as I think it can take on the games you're looking to play.

Hey bud, cheers for the reply

With the Inspiron you cant change the cpu, ram or gpu. Pretty much you can only change around the looks and random crap thats not needed. While with the xps you can change the cpu, ram, gpu, hard drive, etc etc.

I selected the most suitable inspirion to compare with the XPS.

I read somewhere that they have close performance, but i just couldnt find any benchmarks showing.

Apparently the XPS has a better build quality? I'm not too sure.

Cheers

EDIT: i see what you mean about the XPS customizing, you have to click select then choose the cheapest one to customize. Sorry for that.

Edited by eisbar

Hey bud, cheers for the reply

With the Inspiron you cant change the cpu, ram or gpu. Pretty much you can only change around the looks and random crap thats not needed. While with the xps you can change the cpu, ram, gpu, hard drive, etc etc.

I selected the most suitable inspirion to compare with the XPS.

I read somewhere that they have close performance, but i just couldnt find any benchmarks showing.

Apparently the XPS has a better build quality? I'm not too sure.

Cheers

EDIT: i see what you mean about the XPS customizing, you have to click select then choose the cheapest one to customize. Sorry for that.

I see how the customizing works now, I'd never actually played with their customizing system before so I was just a little confused. :lol:

I couldn't really find any good benchmarks for those GPUs either, I don't think laptop's are as popular with benchmarking as desktops.

As for build quality, I've never used an XPS laptop but the XPS desktops I've come across are pretty solid but I've always felt all of dell's stuff was solid and good quality.

Yeah its a little strange but I like it. Allows you to fix up the dodgy ones haha.

The 540m is 100$ extra over the 525m. Do you think it would be worth it?

I noticed they are exactly the same ecept for memory and core clock.

there are some features that the xps comes with over the inspition, like aftermarket speakers, backlit keyboard, etc

Cheers

Yeah its a little strange but I like it. Allows you to fix up the dodgy ones haha.

The 540m is 100$ extra over the 525m. Do you think it would be worth it?

I noticed they are exactly the same ecept for memory and core clock.

there are some features that the xps comes with over the inspition, like aftermarket speakers, backlit keyboard, etc

Cheers

Personally, I'd having trouble justifying spending the extra $100 without some kind of benchmarks or at least small examples of how the two compare, for all I know it the difference between them might be that of a 285 to a 460 or it could be a 470 to a 580, I mean if was the latter I'd probably say it could be worth the $100 but if it's just a small difference I wouldn't.

However I couldn't find any benchmarks so it has to be judged in some other way I suppose, I would say that as long as it fits your budget, it probably isn't a bad investment. It's not something you have to buy every day after all so you might as well get what you really want, then you know you will at least be satisfied with the product. That's I personally look at this stuff usually.

As for other features, I can't comment on the speakers that come with that laptop but I personally have never come across a laptop with good speakers, and I have used some pretty expensive ones meant for multimedia and gaming. The backlit keyboard feature is nice in my opinion, but I've never actually had a chance to work with laptop in the dark that has that feature, so I can't say how well it works, but it is kind of pretty. :lol:

Edited by Deathmineral

well the 540m is comparable to the 5650 but what res are u playing at? notebookcheck ain't the best webisite....

You could probably click the links and look at the resolution in the specs, but anyway, it's 1366x768.

Notebookcheck might not be the best site but it was the best I could find for a good detailed article on both GPUs. You're welcome to link better ones. :thumbsup:

Edited by Deathmineral