Rosewill PSU?

Before upgrading my computer any further and sucking the life out of some knock-off supposedly 550W I currently have, I figure I'd get a decent Power Supply.

I'm looking at the range of Wattage to be between 800-1000 which should leave me plenty of power to expand on

Modular would be really nice

SLI and Crossfire are always a nice touch

Of course, everyone wants the quietest

I was looking at the Rosewill Lightning Series and saw that it's not on the recommended list, but there's also no reviews on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182238

Of course I like the flashiness of it, but I was wondering if anyone had an experiences with these and if I should get one or not.

If not, what's a decent power supply to look at in that wattage range?

First of all, what computer do you need to power? We have to know the system before we can recommend the PSU :cheers:

Secondly what PSU do you currently have?

I would generally avoid purchasing PSUs which have a lack of reviews as you do not know how well they perform with voltage regulation etc and/or whether it can actually supply the rated current without blowing up (trust me - it happens).

Now a lack of reviews doesn't mean that it is a poor PSU but it also doesn't mean it's a good one either. You have to ask yourself though, if a company was confident in a PSU's performance, why hasn't it allowed people to review the PSU?

Rosewill is not known to provide good PSUs since what they are selling is relabeled PSUs made by the OEM "Superflower" which is known to be a pretty dodgy PSU manufacturer. I would avoid buying a Rosewill if I were you.

While the Recommended PSU list doesn't contain all available PSUs, the ones on there are trustworthy and there are still plenty to choose from. I would try to stick to the list. If not then look for one which has good reviews and the right amperage on the +12 volt rails for your computer's needs.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Alexandre

Good post there Alexandre. Can always count on you to be thourough.

The only other thing I would add to that is there are different power supply calculators that can help you determine what kind of PSU you need. And in the same token as Alexandre said we are a good source to know how much power you need.

Please post your system spec. will get you the one that is right for you. :D

My current system spec is

MB: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

Processor: AMD Sempron

RAM: 2g

80g HD x1 (can't recall specifics)

Graphics Card: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161315

I don't know what the PSU is, I'll have to check when I get back to my room. All I know is it's a 550W and it came with the case from a in-town Computer Direct Outlet

I was mainly just curious about the Rosewill, got some mixed reviews on there stuff. When I looked on here the view was generally to avoid it.

I understand the wattage calculator thing, I've used the one on newegg, and I see your point, but it's not going to work the same way for me. The calculator generally comes out around 500W for my current specs, (with some planned upgrades) but I plan on upgrading long term. I want to buy 1 PSU and keep it for a while instead of having to recalculate and rebuy a PSU every time I upgrade. With upgrades, components, etc, that I want to get currently, I'm looking at needing around an 850W according to the calculator. Knowing technology, something new and cool is going to come out that requires more, and knowing me, I'm going to want it. Basically, I want to buy something with room to expand. Sure, I don't have the components to utilize all the power now, but I'd rather have the land than the cattle first.

Yes, my current specs probably made a couple people laugh, this is a fairly new project. Currently it's just being used as an access point for storage, but eventually I want to make it into a entertainment system, gaming, storage, and the main access point for my home network.

The Rosewill has 80 Plus Gold certification and unusually is rated at 50 deg C working temperature for its full 800W output so it may not be too bad? The lack of reviews is always worrying and as Alexandre as already said its probably best avoided.

I'd probably look at the Corsair TX and HX range or something from XFX. The Seasonic X Series are very good power supplies, you've to hit 200W or so on the 760W unit before the cooling fan kicks in so it would be ideal for an entertainment system PC.

Everything seems to be going in the Green direction and drawing less power. If you want to future-proof your system the following PSU should fit all your needs and it's available for $99.00. I don't have this unit but all the reviews seem good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Phil

Rosewill PSU's suck, avoid them at all costs.

Now now, there, Bosco. Not all of them suck. My Rosewill Bronze 1000W is still going strong. The fan was loud, so I modded it with a Noctua NF-P12, and now it's silent. It's still not very efficient (85% my butt, more like barely 80%), but for the price that I got it ($140 after a combo deal over two years ago), it doesn't suck - there's just a lot better PSU's out there. :P

Now now, there, Bosco. Not all of them suck. My Rosewill Bronze 1000W is still going strong. The fan was loud, so I modded it with a Noctua NF-P12, and now it's silent. It's still not very efficient (85% my butt, more like barely 80%), but for the price that I got it ($140 after a combo deal over two years ago), it doesn't suck - there's just a lot better PSU's out there. :P

I am sorry I wouldn't risk my hard earned money on their garbage period. Glad to hear you have one going strong even though it doesn't run how its supposed too. :lol: Kinda of reminds me about Ultra back in the day :down:

The Antec High Current Gamer is hard to beat at that price for 900W but a single +12V rail and a seven year warranty on the Corsair HX750W make them both good choices.

The Kingwin, BFG and Coolmax aren't in the same class.