Locked/ Unlocked Multi?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what does it mean that CPUs like the i7 2500k have unlocked multis? My i can change multis on my 930, i think or am i thinking of the wrong thing? Multi x FSB or BCLK = CPU Speed right? Well i can change that multi, so what is special about the k series and all similar unlocked processors, AMD Black Edition etc.?

Thanks

Speed

Hey guys,

I was wondering what does it mean that CPUs like the i7 2500k have unlocked multis? My i can change multis on my 930, i think or am i thinking of the wrong thing? Multi x FSB or BCLK = CPU Speed right? Well i can change that multi, so what is special about the k series and all similar unlocked processors, AMD Black Edition etc.?

Thanks

Speed

unlocked meaning no limit at all... our 930's only have a x22 multi MAX... k-series or extreme or BE for AMD = ANY Multi you want. Could shoot for a 70 multi if you wanted. No way in hell it would boot or run at that. But you COULD if you wanted.

I thought it meant that for the unlocked multi, you can actually change that value, where as a locked one, that value is set and you cannot change that to achieve a higher speed

I thought it meant that for the unlocked multi, you can actually change that value, where as a locked one, that value is set and you cannot change that to achieve a higher speed

That is exactly what is means. You have a multiplyer that is set to a specific number by Intel/AMD. The CPU with a locked multiplier has to be OCed via the FSB. And unlocked CPU can be OCed by both changing the FSB and the Multiplier.

Thats what i originally though and was confused because i can as i said change my multi to a certain extent.

Even if it is locked some CPUs or Mother boards may let you change the multiplier a couple of ticks up or down. Do not confuse this with Front Side Bus (FSB)

Who was confusing it? I can lower my multi as far as 12 and as high as 22. atleast i cant post below 12.

Is that with the ability to put it at ANY multi between 12 and 22? Or is this more of a speed-step function?

Who was confusing it? I can lower my multi as far as 12 and as high as 22. atleast i cant post below 12.

You can lower it to whatever you want - but you cannot raise your multiplier HIGHER than the stock multiplier. Unlocked chips can and require no overclocking of the base clock / FSB to raise clock speeds.