Hyper Threading FTW?

So I just set up my new system, in the sig just without any of the watercooling. Also the CPU heatsink has a ghetto modded Noctua 120mm fan on it(I had to use some wiring to attach it ^_^).

The max load I got(with BF BC2) was 50% on all 4 cores. Now with my X4 955 I was usually at 80-90% on all 4 cores, does hyperthreading take some loads off of the CPU?

Not really, it just looks that way since it sees the threads as actual cores. The cores are still having the same load as 4 cores, but halved in percentage because it's hyperthreaded...

Not really, it just looks that way since it sees the threads as actual cores. The cores are still having the same load as 4 cores, but halved in percentage because it's hyperthreaded...

My temps aren't that high either though, they were around 45C, at 50C they were maxed in the game. That is with a crappy Xigmatek S1284 with a ghetto modded fan :P

There is this myth that gaming makes a computer run full tilt, not true. Most games do not on average keep a computer much above 70% load. True you might spike higher but gaming as a whole does not push the hardware to 100% and site there. Hence the lower temps than one might expect.

if both the actual core and the hyperthreading core are at full load you take around 40% performance hit or something...cant be bothered to find the website...

?? Hyperthreading of the past may not have been the best. But current gen hyperthreading offers no negative side effects other than heat...

if both the actual core and the hyperthreading core are at full load you take around 40% performance hit or something...cant be bothered to find the website...

That's only with a 4 core CPU with hyperthreading versus 8 real cores IIRC.