i7 875k too hot....

Apologies for my ignorance.

I have an Asus P7P55D-E and a Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU Cooler ....under any serious load the cpu quickly reaches temps of 70-80 degrees celsius, and if I use the Asus turbo utility for a (very) modest OC the temp goes up to near 100.

I have already reinstalled the cpu cooler several times. Might I need another fan in the case? A better cpu cooler? Coolermaster V10? Noctua NH-D14? I saw a comparison between the CM and a few others; it did well with OC'ing, but only 10 degrees better than the stock cooler...for $139?!! I

Also, I seem to have some sort of memory issue - Windows sees both dimms (for a total of 8 Gb) but only lists 4Gb as available memory. Been trying to figure that out (tested both dimms in both slots, made sure the memory limit is unchecked, and I am running win 7 64 bit, BIOS only sees 4 Gb, tried disenabling/reenableing remapping memory in uncore config) - will this be an impediment to OC'ing once I get the heat issue sorted out?

Thanks for your help!

Well first off, the CM V10 is a TERRIBLE cooler being that it costs over $100 and has the same cooling performance as a $30 heatsink and fan... So dont get that for any reason, But the NH-D14 is great!

Are you using thermal paste? And if you are, what kind?

what does faulty ram have to do with cpu temps?

for the ram issues if both sticks slow up in slot one make sure slot 2 is working. also does it show up in the bios as 8gb or memtest? chances are windows is having a issue like usual.

Edited by hornybluecow

I would say change your cooler before you flip out about anything, even my $30 CM GeminIIS cools better than that, i get 70-82 at 3.8 with full load on my 930. The D-14 is an excellent cooler and will drastically lower your temps if installed correctly. :thumbsup:

I would say change your cooler before you flip out about anything, even my $30 CM GeminIIS cools better than that, i get 70-82 at 3.8 with full load on my 930. The D-14 is an excellent cooler and will drastically lower your temps if installed correctly. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies all...I bought the NHD14...as well as a couple of case fans :blink: I'll report back in a week or so after it's all installed and (hopefully) the OC'ing begins.

As for the memory...it shows up as 4Gb in the bios. Tested both one at a time in both slots. Any suggestions would be great.

Edited by steveschizoid

Thanks for the replies all...I bought the NHD14...as well as a couple of case fans :blink: I'll report back in a week or so after it's all installed and (hopefully) the OC'ing begins.

As for the memory...it shows up as 4Gb in the bios. Tested both one at a time in both slots. Any suggestions would be great.

Do a BIO's update.

Well... its a long shot, but just maybe...

Open up the good ole msconfig.exe, then follow the steps in the pic i uploaded.

post-73007-1299722808313_thumb.png

If this doesnt work its gonna require some google time i guess.

what gets me is the bios not seeing the 8gbs i can't see windows doing anything to change that. if both slots work and you have the newest bios than contact Asus about your ram. some ram will not work because of the total memory cells used (double/ single sided PCB), SPD or even the chips themselves can have issues at certain voltages.

lastly this is far far out but maybe you have the ram in slot 1 and 3 causing it to go into single channel mode and only see the first dimm (i've done it). so make sure your ram is in the right slots.

what gets me is the bios not seeing the 8gbs i can't see windows doing anything to change that. if both slots work and you have the newest bios than contact Asus about your ram. some ram will not work because of the total memory cells used (double/ single sided PCB), SPD or even the chips themselves can have issues at certain voltages.

lastly this is far far out but maybe you have the ram in slot 1 and 3 causing it to go into single channel mode and only see the first dimm (i've done it). so make sure your ram is in the right slots.

Thanks guys, already checked those things though...I wonder if the MB just doesn't like that particular memory - it's Crucial 1.5V.