Rant about people

iskout

rant/

A friend of mine built his new computer last Friday. He spent weeks planning it, getting the best parts for his money. He asked me for advice, and took it gratefully. I gave him spare parts so he could keep cost down. I even ordered a part from usaweapon777 (4870) to complete his build.

At the end of the day, he had a new computer. It wasn't a god, but it was perfectly capable.

Athlon II X3 445 (Unlocked 4th core)

ASRock 880G motherboard

4GB 1333 PNY RAM

XFX 4870 1GB

320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

My old 530w PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium

He built this for $400, including OS. We ran a benchmark with a placeholder GPU (XFX 5770) on 3dmark06 and scored just under 15K 3DMarks. We ran Vantage, but I don't remember what the score was there.

Well, he hasn't even gotten the 4870, and he's decided... He's going to sell the whole system.

He's had it for 5 days. And he's going to sell it. Why? Because someone else told him that his specs are crap, and he needed to upgrade. They told him that the specs his computer had can't POSSIBLY run a game like Battlefield 3, and he was going to have to sell the entire system.

Interestingly enough, the guy who told him this asks ME for computer advice when buying parts and/or checking out performance.

Now, I can understand that the CPU is a little low for BF3. I still think he should be able to play it on low to medium settings. Even if he can't, I see no reason why he can't just buy a higher end CPU later on, when he feels he needs it. Instead, he's insisting that he needs to scrap it and buy an Intel Core i7, even though he barely has any idea why.

So, this is how it goes. I make suggestions, and I get stuff like this in return:

[10:13:43 PM] Me: If he finds he needs to, I don't see why he doesn't just upgrade to a Phenom II 955 BE, then OC that.

[10:14:54 PM] Kyle: listen pal, you get what you pay for you keep recommending this ____ my 2yr old processor is beating it

And so, I've decided to write this rant, because an idiot is convincing a friend to ignore my advice, and frankly I'm probably going to kill them (Not really).

/rant

Edited by iskout

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend a chainsaw, if you do go the killing route. :P

A Phenom II 955 BE would be more than enough for most games coming out, he'll just need to upgrade to a beefier GPU later on for BF3. You got him an 880G board.. those can handle any processor so really, the person recommending to your friend to get an i7 is an idiot. Some people just think that spending a huge amount of money on parts is the only way to go.

I recommend a chainsaw, if you do go the killing route. :P

A Phenom II 955 BE would be more than enough for most games coming out, he'll just need to upgrade to a beefier GPU later on for BF3. You got him an 880G board.. those can handle any processor so really, the person recommending to your friend to get an i7 is an idiot. Some people just think that spending a huge amount of money on parts is the only way to go.

I don't even think he'd need a beefier GPU. His monitor can't even handle resolutions beyond 1600x900, so it's not like he's doing anything ridiculous. As long as he stays at a moderate setting, he should be fine.

try bieng the tech at a small company printing out the exact prebuilts that would be best for us and when the owner and office manager come back they say i have to pick them up at best buy the next day. the office manager then proceeds to tell me all about the media center comps they just bought and how i am going to have to reinstall xp pro on them once we have them. and to top it off all 3 computers had to have a gamers video card installed by best buy since our purchasing agent uses a program for viewing .dwg files cant remember the exact vid card she bought

try bieng the tech at a small company printing out the exact prebuilts that would be best for us and when the owner and office manager come back they say i have to pick them up at best buy the next day. the office manager then proceeds to tell me all about the media center comps they just bought and how i am going to have to reinstall xp pro on them once we have them. and to top it off all 3 computers had to have a gamers video card installed by best buy since our purchasing agent uses a program for viewing .dwg files cant remember the exact vid card she bought

.. gaming instead of Quadro?(Or Firepro) Really? :bah:

Edited by iskout

I would slap that guy saying the system has crap specs - seriously. Getting the best bang for your buck and for you use is something that he doesn't seem to grasp...

Well, I've known the guy in question for a few years, and he kinda doesn't have any concept. His rig is an i7 920, MSI.. something motherboard, SLI GTX 480's, and 6 or 12GB DDR3 1600 (I forget)

when we first got high speed net took me about 4 or 5 years to convince the owner we needed it i told them do not buy netgear when they came back from that outing what did they have a netgear prosafe hence i did the buying this time with my company amex

when we first got high speed net took me about 4 or 5 years to convince the owner we needed it i told them do not buy netgear when they came back from that outing what did they have a netgear prosafe hence i did the buying this time with my company amex

Sound like my mother's company.

9 locations over T1, oh yeah!!!

i still havent convinced the owner we need more that 2down 512 up and locked in a 5 year contract for a few more years I do that so he cant change his mind and cancel it lol but i am going to up it with or with out his permission next time lol