Overclocking problems on a Phenom 955 BE

rush77

i too would go a diff mobo.. my old has that board.. its pretty budgo... my last board was a 790 chipset.. overclocked my old 945 to 4ghz pretty easy.. ran hot though.. didnt like it.. lots of voltage.. but it got there.. i think u should go for a good name brand.. i dont wanna start a mobo rant either like the other guy said, asus r great boards but i personally only use gigabyte.. my current board has had my cpu to a stable 4.3ghz and a not so stable 4.41ghz.. but im running on air.. so thats probably half the reason lol

I was thinking in the following boards so far. I don't have experiences with these. And the max I can spend in it is around 100EUR.

Biostar TA890FXE

Foxconn A9DA-S

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO

Asus MM4N98TD EVO

Edited by rush77

The asus 980 chipset probably would give you a better overclock over the 880 chipset you listed however it would be very minute due to the minor differences and the reason i would personally go for the 880 chipset you listed is it isnt a nvidia like the 980, unless ofcourse you want to sli some nvidia gpu's just go straight for the amd chipset. The 880 chipset also allows you to use your new 3.0 usb's if you have one meaning it is a little more future proof. However the one let down you will find with the 880 is the x16, x4 crossfire as opposed to the x16, x16 lanes you get in crossfire on the 980 that is ofcourse only if you are planning on outting your graphics in crossfire. I think however foxconn is completely out of the question, you certainly wouldnt get the same level of quality as you would with the asus motherboards and i personally dont have anything against biostar mobos, and the mobo you listed iant bad by any means again though i prefer asus over any other mobo manufacturer so maybe a little of a biased opinion, but just see what others say before you decide on an asus over biostar. Hope this helps.

I tried but maybe I'm doing something wrong because with the CPU running on 3.7 (stock voltage) I could get the NB to 2.2 (stock voltage.)

When I tried to push the CPU a bit more 3.8 and increase the voltage to 1,475 and I try to push the NB it's freezing even @ 2,2 and 1,2v.

Actually I don't know how much extra voltage I can give to the NB without any damage.

Ok. After a whole day of testing and testing....

this is the max I can achieve.

1685644.png

The NB is running @2,31 and 1,4v

Conclusion: This is the top of the mobo.

actually there's one thing which surprised me. When I was testing the current config I tried to decrease the ref clock from 210 to 209 and became unstable. I don't know why.blink.gif

So many thanks to everyone for the help thanks.gifthanks.gif

Any further advice is very welcome thumbsup3.gif

Edited by rush77