Overclocking an I7-950

Ronsanut

We should have a competition, see if the underdog (920) can smash the more attractive middle brother (930) :evilgrin:

I just got my 920 too and we have the same mobo so lets gang up and smash a 930 :evilgrin:

Awesome. The thing that I believe is holding me back is the RAM. I have CORSAiR CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 1333MHz and it really does not like anything over 8x Memory Multiplier. I do have the voltage a 1.65 and I have not tightened/tweaked the timings at all. I am thinking about getting some 1600 RAM but not sure how much that would buy me. I would like to get to 4Ghz

By the way, very nice BEAST , Nyt Ryda ! Note my the system specs I have listed is my hoe/office work setup. I am OC'ing a different system. This one is to learn on just in case I f something up.

By the way, very nice BEAST , Nyt Ryda ! Note my the system specs I have listed is my hoe/office work setup. I am OC'ing a different system. This one is to learn on just in case I f something up.

The 950 is really batch-dependent from what I've seen. Some overclock really well and others are really stubborn. Mine takes 1.36 vCore to be stable at 4.2

You are also held back by filling all your ram slots, which is why i built with 6gb and my last build was 8.

The 950 is really batch-dependent from what I've seen. Some overclock really well and others are really stubborn. Mine takes 1.36 vCore to be stable at 4.2

You are also held back by filling all your ram slots, which is why i built with 6gb and my last build was 8.

So I should fill all my ram slots ? Do I / should I fill with the exact same RAM ? If not can they be different size 2GB modules instead of 4GB modules Also do I need to go with the faster ram or stay at what I have ?

Edited by Ronsanut

Well I just replaced my HX650 with a HX1000 and added another Zotac GTX 460 . I tried to SLI a set like this before but my PSU could not handle it. I am going to try again now with the new PSU. After that I think this weekend I am going to try and start the OC process and work my way hopefully to a 4.0 OC. Everything else remains the same. Thanks so far for everyones help.