OC i7 970 Hex Core

RX7Rage

Hey guys. So i recently built a new rig:

i7 970

Asus Sabertooth

12 GB Vengance DDR3 Trip Channel Memory

MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozer

Corsair 850w PSU

all in-closed in a P190 case. Now i started Overclocking the 970 ( Which has stock Cooler still) and well i have the BLK @ 162 and Multi @ 25. for a clock speed of 4050 MHz, and when the Turbo Boost Kick in ive seen 4.2 GHz. Now i ran y-cruncher on a 2 Million Test. And the Highest Core temp i got was 81 degrees C. That seems quite low still. This stock cooler that awesome-o? Or what am i missing here? I wouldn't say im New to OC'ing. BUT i know that 81C is still a fine temp under 100% Load for that test.

What do you guys think? I know a New heatsink would cost me like 50 buks, and ill be A OK for sure. But why change something if its doing the job. Im thoroughly impressed with this chip!

-M

post-75761-12971565800021_thumb.jpg

I just noticd the Timings on my memory in CPU-z. CAS-6? 6-6-6-18. Wow. I actually never touched the Ram Timings in the Bios... How could have these changed? They were CAS-9.<br><br>

I just noticd the Timings on my memory in CPU-z. CAS-6? 6-6-6-18. Wow. I actually never touched the Ram Timings in the Bios... How could have these changed? They were CAS-9.<br><br>

Your memory is running at 800MHz right now (double the DRAM Frequency given in CPUz). You have 1600MHz RAM modules, so your system is currently running at half your rated DRAM frequency and the motherboard has thus tightened timings for the 800MHz DRAM profile.

Just be aware the altering the BCLK changes the DRAM Frequency as the DRAM Frequency is based on the BCLK.

Here's a good informative guide on overclocking first generation i7s like the one you have. It explains how the BCLK is related to other system clocks :)

Hope that's of help.

Edited by Alexandre

Oh ok. Thanks for the link.

Running my memory at half the rated frequency doesnot sound ideal. Even-though the timings have been tightened.

Why's the best way to go about this then. This is my 1st i7 chip.

Here is what I would do. Set everything back to the factory setting and get your ram set-up at its rated speeds and timings. you can use auto on everything else bt what I have found is these settings tend to work best.

On your QPI link use the lowest setting. You can try the medium setting but it normally does not work well.

Use the lowest or 1-2 steps above lowest Uncore Frequency you can (it should always be at least twice the Dram Frequency and will be the most stable)

Just so you know the uncore is the Frequecies of everything in the chip that it "not" the cpu cores or mem controller.

Jack the memory multiplier up to close to the rated speed. 1600 + or - 200.

Set your Dram voltage to 1.50 (When you go to overclock it try not to go above 1.65 as you can damage the processor)

Set the timings to the factory settings. You may need to use 1T or 2T but you can leave that on auto.

THat should get your memory up to speed.

You MAY, Just Maybe, have to raise the QPI/dram core voltage to 1.350v At most. You can flotch a little more voltage but I wouldnt go too far. And when you go to 1866 you may have to set the QPI voltage around 1.45-1.50. this all hypathetical so work your way up there slowly as to make sure you have it stable before you move on and just give it a ton of voltage.

After you have done that run a stability test for 1-4 hours at the ram and chips factory settings on occt linpak or prime95 Blender and that will prove your Ram is good to go and you can move on to the higher OC that you have produced.

And also read up on that guide that Alexandre posted. It will help you OC the snot out of this chip. :D

Use the lowest or 1-2 steps above lowest Uncore Frequency you can (it should always be at least twice the Dram Frequency and will be the most stable)

I know that Bloomfield chips, like my i7 930, need to have the Uncore frequency double that of the DRAM frequency but I believe Gulftown chips only required their Uncore to be 1.5 x DRAM freq.

I think it says this in the guide I posted on page 2.

Oh ok. Thanks for the link.

Running my memory at half the rated frequency doesnot sound ideal. Even-though the timings have been tightened.

Why's the best way to go about this then. This is my 1st i7 chip.

Your memory running at 800MHz will have higher overall latencies even with tighter timings compared to 1600MHz with looser timings. So running them at rated speeds would be ideal.