hard drive not showing up

loser12

I have a 250gb seagate that all of a sudden is not showing up. I have it hooked up to the motherboard (IDE) but it didn't register. I then hooked it up to an external hard drive case and got nothing. I tried the freezer overnight trick but nothing. I have had dead hard drives before, but usually there is some sign it will fail and then I get nothing. With this drive I can hear it spin up and I see no signs of death on the the outside (ie burn ed circuits)

Any advice?

thanks!

maybe the ide socket on the mobo is bad, can you test it with another ide device to make sure that its not the socket, or the cable?

also, check to see if it shows up in the bios

maybe the ide socket on the mobo is bad, can you test it with another ide device to make sure that its not the socket, or the cable?

This. I spent ages trying to figure out why my p4 was not registering my hdd. Stuck it in another rig saw it worked stuck it back in the p4 and it did not show up, tried 3 other drives none showed up in that socket. Tried the other socket and it worked fine.

if its still not working, then its got to be the drive (I'm assuming you tested it with multiple cables). Not much you can do if thats the case.

I have heard however of a guy who had a similar problem. The control board went bad on his hard drive. He had some really critical data on it, so he bought an identical drive and switched the boards and it worked. I dont know how important the stuff on your drive is, but if you really need it then you could give it a shot.

Just because a drive spins doesn't mean its not dead. I see that stuff all the time.

:withstupid:

My dead drives all spin up with the exception of the one thats in pieces all over the floor. Even the one with a loose spindle or something, it goes clunk, screech , ca-clunk, clunk............. but it does spin so idk how you can tell if it is really dead or just went bad like savan said.