Optimizing my PC for Folding

amang

Hi guys, I need some advice on how I can really optimize my rig for folding. You can see my signature for the current spec of my rig. I just started this exercise on the 18th of Jan.

My current results can be viewed here: http://www.hardfolding.com/fh_stats/index.php?pz=102&id=2035765&tnum=12772

ATM, I am running one SMP (-smp 10 -bigadv) and four GPU (-gpu x -bigadv -forcegpu ati_r600), totalling 5 active clients from this rig alone. In other words, I am using 10 threads (5 cores) from CPU and leaving 2 threads (1 core) for 4 GPU to run.

I am considering to run a dedicated CPU console client for each core of my processor, so I am wondering if that would make any difference with my current setup.

Any advice on how to improve this setting will be much appreciated. :)

SMP with a pass key gets faaaar better results than console clients. Especially running -bigadv units. Looking at your score something does not add up. You have been running bigadv on that rig for a week? I can get that score in 3 days with my quad running bigadvs. Are you running 24/7? They do have deadlines. The quicker you complete them the more score you get.

Hope that helps. :foldon:

I think your current setup looks great. SMP is definitely the way to go over running separate console clients.

I would experiment with running -smp 11 with four GPUs -- I think you'll get better results since the GPU clients don't use many CPU cycles. When I have my setup running all out, I use -smp 7 for my CPU and leave the last thread open for my two GPUs. Looking at task manager, my 8th thread is running around 50%, so you may be able to operate 4 GPU clients off one CPU thread. Test it out by running -smp 11 with all four GPUs and check your GPU load in MSI Afterburner.

Also, just to clean things up, GPUs don't run -bigadv units (to my knowledge) so you could get rid of that flag for your GPU client.

So long as you have that i7 980x folding 24/7 your score jump by about 70,000 every 3 to 3.5 days. my 930 at 3.8 takes just under the limit of 4 days so that beast ought to take about 2.8-3.4 days.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I installed MSI Afterburner to monitor those GPU activities. I found out that I have to leave 4 threads (2 cores) idle to handle those 4 GPUs, which means -smp 10 or -smp 11 will not be optimal in this situation.

The GPUs managed to reached their 93-95% capacity when I used -smp 8 for my CPU. At the same time, Windows Taskbar indicates 100% flat line on all CPU cores.

CPU temperature is stable at 76'C on average, whereas those GPUs burn at 80'C.

One question: does it make any difference if I overclock my CPU to, say, 4.16Ghz (at 166Mhz FSB)? Similarly, will it help if I overclock those GPUs as well?

Overclocking can only improve it. I forgot to mention that your -smp 8 at 3.3 is slower than mine. That might account for the low points. Pity you have AMD cards, nvidia cards dont need cpu to fold.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I installed MSI Afterburner to monitor those GPU activities. I found out that I have to leave 4 threads (2 cores) idle to handle those 4 GPUs, which means -smp 10 or -smp 11 will not be optimal in this situation.

The GPUs managed to reached their 93-95% capacity when I used -smp 8 for my CPU. At the same time, Windows Taskbar indicates 100% flat line on all CPU cores.

CPU temperature is stable at 76'C on average, whereas those GPUs burn at 80'C.

One question: does it make any difference if I overclock my CPU to, say, 4.16Ghz (at 166Mhz FSB)? Similarly, will it help if I overclock those GPUs as well?

Personally I wouldn't overclock any further. I try and keep my CPU around 65-67C and my GPU's around 70C. Granted, since I run it 24/7, I tend to err on the side of caution.

The CPU is on water, currently running at 4.16Ghz.

Both GPU cards are on stock fan cooler with no overclock at all.

Current room temperature is around 25'-26'C (it's summer here now and it's 40'C outside today!)

I assume you are getting about 16k total from GPUs there.. How much are you getting from CPU folding? 24k?

Folding with AMD cards, for the most part, isn't worth it PPD wise. You might get higher ppd with just -bigadv folding and save some electricity at the same time.