Uneven temps among CPU cores

yonyz

Hi,

About 2 months ago, I have installed a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler on my Intel Q6600 CPU.

Since then, the temperatures among the 4 CPU cores are unequal.

Two of the cores have a temperature that is 4-5 degrees higher than that of the other two cores.

Is this common, or did I simply incorrectly applied the thermal paste?

I have always had the same situation. I suppose the paste or contact might not be 100% the same across the entire surface, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. My lowest core temp is usually 44-45, and highest is 51-52. That's at idle. I consider reading OOC forums idle.

It's usually not a big deal. For some reason, my Core 3 is always a lot colder than the rest. Right now Core 3 is at 33 celcius, whereas Core 0 is at 43. I've reapplied the tim hundreds of times etc, but it always does that. I'd just do that ivith0s said.

Lol, I think I've done a big mistake.

I've wasted about 6 hours reapplying thermal compound on the heatsink, and now my temps are like 15 degrees higher. :P

I know there's this break up period or whatever it's called with the Arctic Silver 5, but still. I'm getting 80 degrees at 100% load. Crazy stuff. Guess I'll have to reapply. Again.

Or used too much?

I've spread it pretty much on the whole surface that touches the CPU's heatspreader, with a credit card. Maybe I should have put 2 dots and let it spread by pressure against the CPU?

Burn it in. use Prime95 or occt to get that stuff good and hot so it will spread out faster. After I apply AS5 to my system I put it back to stock or a lower overclock and run prime95 while Im doing what im doing and just monitor the temps. It should take a week or less to do its thing and you should be good to go after that. I have found though the less you use the better off you are.

Good luck.

Burn it in. use Prime95 or occt to get that stuff good and hot so it will spread out faster. After I apply AS5 to my system I put it back to stock or a lower overclock and run prime95 while Im doing what im doing and just monitor the temps. It should take a week or less to do its thing and you should be good to go after that. I have found though the less you use the better off you are.

Good luck.

Prime95 makes my CPU cores reach 75 degrees at 100% load. Is this really a good idea to run it before the break in period is over and the temps are stabilized?

Try running occt linpak on its lowest priority and 25% free memory on infinite and if its necessary back off the oc. This way your load will cycle on and off. If your still worried about it back off on the oc a bit and use core temps overheat protection and set it ay the point you want the computer ro . down or use occt's max temp setting to make sure.

You should be ok. What's the Q6600's tj max?