Official Bored at Class/Work Thread

doopypeanut

Should I take SAT classes? I don't feel like taking them

I didn't but I took it before the writing portion was added (and I got a great score the first time). Apparently there are quite a few ways to game the test - but I found quite a few of those tips just cruising the net just now.

Edited by Waco

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess I did pretty well then lol. I'm aiming for 1800, and the teachers said it was feasible. McGill here I come! :biggrin:

I took it at 8 AM on a Saturday, after forgetting I had it the night before and going out partying. My mother woke me up at 7:30, with a reminder to bring a pencil. I got there with a hangover, hadn't studied, and was on about 4 hours of sleep (at best). I got a 1770/2400 or 1200/1600.

Getting an 1800 shouldn't be too hard for you. You seem pretty smart.

I took it at 8 AM on a Saturday, after forgetting I had it the night before and going out partying. My mother woke me up at 7:30, with a reminder to bring a pencil. I got there with a hangover, hadn't studied, and was on about 4 hours of sleep (at best). I got a 1770/2400 or 1200/1600.

Getting an 1800 shouldn't be too hard for you. You seem pretty smart.

Thanks! I got 1100/1600, that puts it more into perspective of how bad I am at the damn writing part. I don't know if it's just because I suck at writing, or if it's because English isn't my first language.

Thanks! I got 1100/1600, that puts it more into perspective of how bad I am at the damn writing part. I don't know if it's just because I suck at writing, or if it's because English isn't my first language.

Doesn't that mean you got a 550 out of 800 for writing?

Doesn't that mean you got a 550 out of 800 for writing?

Wait... *facepalm* Yeah, 2 am logic fail. Somehow my brain decided that writing = essay portion. :pfp: I'll take a look at my scores and get back with what I actually got. :doh:

I didn't but I took it before the writing portion was added (and I got a great score the first time). Apparently there are quite a few ways to game the test - but I found quite a few of those tips just cruising the net just now.

What kind of tips would you personally give me?

See, I like to rush through things and I don't like to double check.

Wait... *facepalm* Yeah, 2 am logic fail. Somehow my brain decided that writing = essay portion. :pfp: I'll take a look at my scores and get back with what I actually got. :doh:

Wait, that's what I thought too. Isn't is composed of three sections? Writing, critical reading, and math?

What kind of tips would you personally give me?

See, I like to rush through things and I don't like to double check.

I don't have tips for the writing portion as it wasn't part of the test when I took it. For critical reading having a good vocabulary makes a HUGE difference. They throw a lot of inane synonym/antonym/whatever questions at you with some pretty uncommon words. Knowing Latin roots would help quite a bit for many of them.

For the math portion all I can say is you need to pay attention to what they are asking. Same goes for the actual reading parts in the critical reading section. I know some of the questions I missed simply because I assumed I knew what they were asking without being careful about reading the whole question. When you finish a section go back and make sure your answers make sense. If you can't figure out how to answer a question - just move on and come back to it.

I only took it once though - so my tips might not be the best. I got the equivalent of a >=2100 on the new scale according to the conversion chart.

If you Google a bit there are quite a few sites with tips on how to get a better score for the writing/essay portion.

Edited by Waco

Wait, that's what I thought too. Isn't is composed of three sections? Writing, critical reading, and math?

I don't have tips for the writing portion as it wasn't part of the test when I took it. For critical reading having a good vocabulary makes a HUGE difference. They throw a lot of inane synonym/antonym/whatever questions at you with some pretty uncommon words. Knowing Latin roots would help quite a bit for many of them.

For the math portion all I can say is you need to pay attention to what they are asking. Same goes for the actual reading parts in the critical reading section. I know some of the questions I missed simply because I assumed I knew what they were asking without being careful about reading the whole question. When you finish a section go back and make sure your answers make sense. If you can't figure out how to answer a question - just move on and come back to it.

I only took it once though - so my tips might not be the best. I got the equivalent of a >=2100 on the new scale according to the conversion chart.

If you Google a bit there are quite a few sites with tips on how to get a better score for the writing/essay portion.

Thanks for the tips! :thumbsup: As for the latin roots etc, I'm pretty much set for that, I'm fluent in French and Spanish. :biggrin: One of my bigger problems is not being used to skipping the question, I always feel like I can figure it out, and lose a bunch of points that way.

Edited by l33t p1mp