Official Bored at Class/Work Thread

doopypeanut

So, I ran into an awkward situation with my friends mother. We were doing video chat on Skype, and he wanted me to show his mother my computer (She has some certification that made her somewhat interested in computers). So, I was showing off the internals, and she said "What's that big thing next to your tubing? Is that your RAM?"

What she saw was my OCZ Reaper HPC's, with the massive heatsink. When I told her it was the absurdly large heatsink, she made the comment "Sounds like you're overcompensating for something. ;)"

Still not sure how I should feel about my friend's mother (whom I have never met) making a penis size joke about me. :dunno:

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I ran into an awkward situation with my friends mother. We were doing video chat on Skype, and he wanted me to show his mother my computer (She has some certification that made her somewhat interested in computers). So, I was showing off the internals, and she said "What's that big thing next to your tubing? Is that your RAM?"

What she saw was my OCZ Reaper HPC's, with the massive heatsink. When I told her it was the absurdly large heatsink, she made the comment "Sounds like you're overcompensating for something. ;)"

Still not sure how I should feel about my friend's mother (whom I have never met) making a penis size joke about me. :dunno:

Call her a n00b, then kick her out of her house.

GG

Today I was faced with the difficult decision of: A) Letting my mom use my desktop B) Taking a crappy acer aspire one netbook to school. I went for B.

Dude.. it's not THAT bad to let her use your desktop. I mean.. what's the worst she can do?

Put her on a guest user. She cant do a thing to muck up your comp. Just remember to let the guest have internet. We were staying in someone elses house while we were on holiday so they told us we could use their comp they set up a guest user for us, but left the parental control(i guess that were setup for their kids) on high, we could do nothing on the internet. For 4 weeks! :wacko:

yeah seriously. I have a limited user account setup on my rig for guests to use. Oddly enough, it's not called Guest haha

is it called "Idiots that might screw up my computer, so they don't get any real rights and are lucky I allow them to use my machine"?

That might be too long. :teehee:

is it called "Idiots that might screw up my computer, so they don't get any real rights and are lucky I allow them to use my machine"?

That might be too long. :teehee:

I think I called it something super original like UserLimited or MomsAccount lol. I was in a rush to setup my stuff so I just threw together a user account and it has worked fine for them haha

But, if names weren't size limited, I would have something like your suggestion :P

Edited by imm0rt41

Dude.. it's not THAT bad to let her use your desktop. I mean.. what's the worst she can do?

For one, infect it with undetected viruses (yes, viruses are undetected, the antivirus only learns how to detect them later on) like she did with her laptop? She's not very tech-savy, and the list goes on, but I'd rather not rag on family members. Either way, I didn't have a second account on that computer since I formatted it this weekend.

For one, infect it with undetected viruses (yes, viruses are undetected, the antivirus only learns how to detect them later on) like she did with her laptop? She's not very tech-savy, and the list goes on, but I'd rather not rag on family members. Either way, I didn't have a second account on that computer since I formatted it this weekend.

I know very well how an antivirus works.

if you have a fairly recent backup, it's not a huge deal if you get a virus. Just restore from when that backup was created. Typically, you won't be missing much.