Overclocking Suggestions on Athlon x4

Hey guys so I finally started messing with some numbers and seeing how high I could overclock my Athlon II x4 640 on my TA785G3HD. First of all I wanted to see how other people did it and I read MANY setups and got a good feel for it. This is the highest clock I could boot into my system:

post-74454-12952283705886_thumb.png

post-74454-12952283843091_thumb.png

post-74454-12952283941027_thumb.png

post-74454-1295228402098_thumb.png

I thought the NB frequency was too high and I looked it up. It apparently should be around 1.8-2.0 ghz but IDK how to lower it. Well what do you guys think? This is no way a stable setup, I'm just testing its limits. What should I do to make the system more stable, if possible? And should I lower the HT and RAM that low? Or is that counter productive?

Hey guys so I finally started messing with some numbers and seeing how high I could overclock my Athlon II x4 640 on my TA785G3HD. First of all I wanted to see how other people did it and I read MANY setups and got a good feel for it. This is the highest clock I could boot into my system:

post-74454-12952283705886_thumb.png

post-74454-12952283843091_thumb.png

post-74454-12952283941027_thumb.png

post-74454-1295228402098_thumb.png

I thought the NB frequency was too high and I looked it up. It apparently should be around 1.8-2.0 ghz but IDK how to lower it. Well what do you guys think? This is no way a stable setup, I'm just testing its limits. What should I do to make the system more stable, if possible? And should I lower the HT and RAM that low? Or is that counter productive?

Sorry - a bit unrelated to your current question but I still think it's important.

I see that your running 2 gig single channel memory. If you want to see a performance increase on your computer I would suggest you buy another 2 gig stick (at a minimum) in order to run dual channel. There is a significant improvement in performance when running dual channel memory compared to single channel. DDR3 prices have dropped so right now would probably be a good time to buy :)

Hold on sorry maybe I didn't mention this, but if you have no suggestions because I did things right please tell me. I'm still new to this so I would be very hesitant to believe that I did things right, but if so tell me so that I can better understand my CPU. Oh and I turned ACC on auto.

It seems that you still have quite a bit of voltage headroom, maybe 3.9ghz is in sight, damn i wish i had the 640 instead of the 620. In order to get higher you need to begin changing the timings on your ram because atm they are too low to allow the base clock to increase, you can also increase the speed of your ram atm it is very low, it is just a matter of adjusting the timings so they allow you to do this. Try raising the bclock to 260, then raise the ram to 533 in the bios with 9,9,9,25,34 1.5v. It should boot with these timings remember try and match the speed as close as possible with the timings shown in cpuz at those speeds. Then if stable that should give you 3.9ghz, good luck.

EDIT*

Forgot to mention, you need to turn the HT down, to do this in the bios there will be an option called CPU/NB lower this to x7.00, if stable try increasing to x8.00, but i doubt you will get any higher than x8.00 so leave it there. Finally ACC is a nice function when overclocking, allows a little more stability at higher clock speeeds

Edited by bobby898

Okay so I increased the voltage to 1.54 and I got to 3.95ghz unstable. But It's somewhat stable at 3.8 and even more so at 3.7. But I think it's my RAM that's limiting me. If I turn the frequency any higher than DDR3-800, my bios freak out and change all the settings back to default. It's very odd. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but if my RAM is set to DDR3-800, shouldn't it run at a frequency of 800mhz? Why does it show on CPUID that it's running at 500 mhz? Oh and you said to give the ram 1.5 volts. It's already set to 1.5, should I leave it at that?

I did change the timing and the system became more stable. However is downclocking the RAM and overclocking the CPU worth it? Or is it kind of counterproductive? I was thinking of just getting some new RAM. I want a 4GB stick but I'm not so sure what to look for. And I don't want to blow a lot of money. I just want it to run at 1333 instead of 500 with a good overclock.

Oh and I don't have a CPU/NB option in my bios but I do have a HT Link option. That's where I control the HT. How low should it be?

Oh, I didn't realize that 800 was the lowest...than ya I'm betting on your memory holding you back.

I only was able to overclock my cousin's 620 to 3.4ghz but I still saw the ram bottleneck in sight.

Check what speed CPU-Z reports to you when you're running at the "800mhz" divider setting, maybe run a few passes of memtest

Since you are planning to buy more ram by the looks of thing you may want to take to opportunity to buy 4gbs of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I know you already have one stick of 1333 but if it is limiting you and you need more ram anyways why not give it a shot? DDR3 is very cheap right now and probably wont be this low again for some time.

Since you are planning to buy more ram by the looks of thing you may want to take to opportunity to buy 4gbs of ddr3 1600mhz ram. I know you already have one stick of 1333 but if it is limiting you and you need more ram anyways why not give it a shot? DDR3 is very cheap right now and probably wont be this low again for some time.

I agree, you should not need more than 1600mhz as I'm sure the chip will max out before you can reach that limit.