Programming tutorials

CowKing

A couple months ago I was accepted to Brown College for a BS degree in Game Design and I thought I should probably start learning a lot more than just BASIC. I was wondering if any of you know where there are any good tutorials, because the ones I've looked at just tell me the code and don't really explain why they put that there. I DO know a little bit of the C++ syntax and code, but nothing I could create a program with. I really want to focus more on C++, but I thought that it would probably be a good idea to learn OpenGL and other things like that so that I'm not just stuck with Windows as a platform.

Seriously, give me ANY resources you thought were useful. Even college level books would make me feel good about being prepared.

On a side note, do any of you know of a good compiler besides Visual C++ 2010 Express? VC++ has the strangest UI I've ever seen and it doesn't help that it doesn't really explain how it works.

I already know about integers, real numbers, and strings and all that jazz except for DWords which i could never really think of a reason to use them.

Thanks

I have been doing my GSP (Game Simulation Programming) for about 3 years, I am about to finish up. But now, we are just getting in to the real nitty gritty programming.

The classes I've taken in the past have all been pretty basic C++ classes, how to program in physics, learning the fundamentals of C#, Assembly, etc.

Now I am taking a class in Data Structures and Computer AI.

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/

About the most comprehensive sites ever. Also, I'd advise getting a good base in C++ before getting into OpenGL. Also, C++ isn't solely a Windows programming language IIRC.

wow, that URL is really straight forward. And yeah, C++ isn't solely windows. I was thinking DirectX and when i think of that I think of C++.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about programing is once you understand the logic of basic programs. For-loops, if statements, case(select), subroutines, calls, etc... The only thing you need to learn then is the syntax. I started on Basic, tru-basic. I highly suggest ANYONE to start with console programing before you move into windows/object ordinated programing. The reason is because it will give you a sound primer in basic program structure, plus the syntax is really really easy. I am taking a advanced C# class right now, I am having issues with the syntax is because C# just seems backwards from what I am used to. You are declaring things at the bottom, when you have used them in the beginning of your program, just weird to me but eh.

I applaud your efforts to continue you education as well, it is very important in this age of accreditation. I must warn you though as I do everyone, beware of for-profit schools like the one your attending, the tuition is on-par with some of the top private schools in the country. To quote Frontline, "For-profit schools make up only 1% of all college students, but count for more than 98% of financial aid/ loans." http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/?utm_campaign=viewpage&utm_medium=grid&utm_source=grid

I am not trying to change your mind, you want to learn and that is a great thing, I just want to warn you about the financial burden that will come after you graduate, everyone with student loans face it, even me.. I am currently sitting at about $14k in student loans from my community college, and now the private college I am attending.

As for career in gaming, its a dream job for almost anyone. I think people always think you have to be good at programing to design video games, in reality this is false. Most of the time there will be teams that program tools/engines, and the developers will use those tools to create the game, much like the development tools that a lot of studios put out. Such as the Source SDK, Blizzard's Map Creators, Unreal SDK, etc... Knowing how to navigate and build 3D sets is what game designers really do. They aren't programmers, they use the same tools as we all do to make our mods. Many schools are looking to take advantage of this industry that everyone wants to be a part of. The problem is that most of the people who are working in the industry right now, never got degrees in game design. They taught themselves, and developed a talent over years much like one would master a musical instrument.

Networking is the key to everything. The gaming industry is a HOT industry right now, everyone wants an in, its not so much about your qualifications as it is "Who you know" you could have a masters in computer science, but if you were a relative unknown to the industry they wouldn't look twice at you. The best way to do this is goto PAX, Comic Con, Blizzcon, and other gaming conventions. Meet the developers and talk with them, get your name out, drop cards, get cards, etc...

Another thing is, you don't need to be a game designer to be in the Gaming Industry, these places are still businesses. They require all the support staff as any business would, IT, Customer Service, Legal, etc... Thats kind of the route I am taking, I want to work in the industry yes, but the competition in the designer field is so high, that you have to be the top 1% to even get a job.

Don't sway from your dreams though, if this is something you want, and you feel you can work for it. By all means go for it!!! At the end of the day nobody wants to work at a job they hate. :)

As for compliers, Visual Studio 2010 is amazing. As a student you might be able to get it free if your school participates in the MSDNAA (Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance), It is for educational / personal purposes only, but it allows you to work on the tools that you would be working with in a real career. I have access to sooo much software its crazy, I could go download right now a copy of Server 2008 Datacenter, which is usually thousands and thousands of dollars to licence. Basically any product Microsoft makes except for the main parts of Office (you can get Visio and Project).