Over Clocking x3 720 BE assistance

acpowell

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mother board with a Phenom II x3 720 BE CPU. It has been running for about a year but I have never been able to OC it much more than a 3200Ghz. My main issue I am having is that I don't know what to change in my BIOS besides the Multiplyer. When I change the CPU voltage I have to reset my MB because it won't boot any more. I have attached a photo of my BIOS settings that I am currently useing. I am not worried about heat as I have a good aftermarket heatsink.

http://www.dodgecityrc.com/bios.jpg

post-74744-12945941325681_thumb.jpg

okay, so I made some voltage changes but the speed didn't say it was changing in the BIOS. It stayed at 3.2Ghz. Am i doing somthing wrong or is this to be expected? Sorry I am asking dumb questions, I just don't want to break anything, and the last time I OCed somthing was a 486 which was way easier IMO.

Thanks again for the help... :blush::thx:

Everyone, thanks for all the help. I decided that I was still slightly confused about what I was doing, and I am going to leave it at 3.2Ghz seen as I probably could only get maybe 1 or 2 more ticks out of it and that wouldn't ammount to much proccessing improvement. If BIOS's were all labled the same I am sure I would of understood what settings to adjust but what everyone was telling me to adjust and what my computer listed as adjustable weren't exactly the same and I hate taking my Video card out just to reset my BIOS to factory. If someone disagrees and wants to help me further than go for it I am willing to try.

In febuary I plan on buying either a 1100t or a 1090 and then I am sure I will be back here groveling for assistance.

I cant really help you tweak your computer but I have some settings that work for a 720

what aftermarket heat sink do you have? because if you are using a stock-like heatsink this is a waste of time

start your computer enter bios by pressing delete

WHILE AT THE MAIN MENU pres CNTRL AND F1 to enable the advanced bios options on a gigabyte board

change these settings:

CPU CLOCK : 17.5

NB FREQUENCY : 12

voltages:

NB volt control : +.05 = 1.35

NB VID : +.100 = 1.3

CPU volt = + .125 = 1.45

IF YOUR MEMORY IS OVERCLOCKED SET IT TO STOCK TIMINGS

Edited by potatochobit

Why do you take your video card out to clear CMOS?

Glad we could be of help, but the best thing to do is read up on how to overclock. Google "Phenom 720 overclock" and "overclocking guide" and you'll find some great write-ups at a great many different sites. Once you understand, it's quite simple. I believe OCC might have a guide here, too, but no one reads it, and people don't usually want to write up a new guide every time someone wants to try to overclock.

In short:

1. Choose an overclock goal, i.e 3.6GHz

2. Choose your memory speed, i.e. 1600MHz and set timings to 9-9-9-24-1T - set your DRAM voltage to 1.65v, NB voltage to 1.3v

3. Set your multiplier and frequency, i.e. 18.5 x 200 - set your CPU voltage to 1.4875v.

That's it.

When you get into Windows (if you get into Windows, that's a good sign), you'll want to stress test it.

Monitor core temps with HWMonitor

Run Prime95 Blend tests

Don't let temps get close to 72C on any core.

If you get errors, it's either your memory or your CPU overclock. If it's memory, loosen the timings or set it at 1333MHz. If it's not that, increase your CPU Voltage.

See, that took 10 minutes to write. If I did that everytime someone wanted help, I'd have no life.

:google:

I take out my video card because the Clear CMOS pins are underneath it on the system board.

Why do you take your video card out to clear CMOS?

Because the video card, when installed, sits on top of the jumpers

Glad we could be of help, but the best thing to do is read up on how to overclock. Google "Phenom 720 overclock" and "overclocking guide" and you'll find some great write-ups at a great many different sites. Once you understand, it's quite simple. I believe OCC might have a guide here, too, but no one reads it, and people don't usually want to write up a new guide every time someone wants to try to overclock.

In short:

1. Choose an overclock goal, i.e 3.6GHz

2. Choose your memory speed, i.e. 1600MHz and set timings to 9-9-9-24-1T - set your DRAM voltage to 1.65v, NB voltage to 1.3v

3. Set your multiplier and frequency, i.e. 18.5 x 200 - set your CPU voltage to 1.4875v.

That's it.

When you get into Windows (if you get into Windows, that's a good sign), you'll want to stress test it.

Monitor core temps with HWMonitor

Run Prime95 Blend tests

Don't let temps get close to 72C on any core.

If you get errors, it's either your memory or your CPU overclock. If it's memory, loosen the timings or set it at 1333MHz. If it's not that, increase your CPU Voltage.

See, that took 10 minutes to write. If I did that every time someone wanted help, I'd have no life.

:google:

I have looked at several guides on how to over clock processors especially ones for my CPU specifically but the main issue I have is that things are not always labeled the same. For example:

change these settings:

CPU CLOCK : 17.5

NB FREQUENCY : 12

voltages:

NB volt control : +.05 = 1.35

NB VID : +.100 = 1.3

CPU volt = + .125 = 1.45

IF YOUR MEMORY IS OVERCLOCKED SET IT TO STOCK TIMINGS

My computer doesn't necessarily list these things the way they are written and some are listed what to me seems like separately.

I have CPU clock, I have NB Freq but I don't have NB VID I have CPU NB VID instead, is this the same or different. Maybe I am just being to anal about it, I dono. Either way, I am still glad for all the help. Maybe tonight I will adjust it to the settings listed above and see what it gets me, I suppose the worst that could happen is that I will have to reset my BIOS again.

Sorry for being a noob. I supose we all have our noob moments.

When you overclock you can change the cpu multiplier, which you've indicated you have, AND you can change the "CPU Host Clock Control" <- which is the name for your fsb in your BIOS picture. Upping the CPU Host Clock Control to 210 would give you a cpu speed of 3.36Ghz. Just remember, you MAY have to reduce your multiplier in order to achieve your best overclock (ex. your cpu might do 14 X 250 for 3.5Ghz but wont do 16 x 219 for 3.5Ghz - or vise versa).

Edited by pkilway