Converting 8pin VGA power cable to 6pin?

I'm in the process of tediously sleeving everything on my corsair tx750. I've done the 8pin 12V thing so far, and next up on the list were the vga power cables. Problem is they have the 2 extra pins that complicate life a bit more. So now I'm a bit confused but I think I have 2 options:

1. remove the two extra pins, as my 250 doesn't need them anyways, and sleeve the 6 pins normally, after crimping the pins where necessary.

2. get some female ATX connector pins and sleeve those 2 tiny pins as well.

My inner lazy person wants to do option 1 but I am not sure as to how legitimate the it is. I think it should be OK as the 2 tiny extra pins are black (meaning grounds?) and I don't need them anyway.

A third option would be borne of the merger of the 2 options, removing the pins on 2 vga power cables and keeping them on the other two in case of an upgrade latter down the road needing those 2 pins.

What do you guys think of this?

Edited by PruritusAni

If I were you I would leave at least one as an 8 pin. One day you might want to get a video card with an 8 pin connector.

And black wires are always hot, so you would need them for an 8 pin connection.

• Like 1

Option 2 it is then. I've ordered the ATX pins so i may not half butt it. Hope I get done before the semester starts. This project is taking quite a bit of time, but the (few) results so far make it worth the investment.

Option 2 it is then. I've ordered the ATX pins so i may not half butt it. Hope I get done before the semester starts. This project is taking quite a bit of time, but the (few) results so far make it worth the investment.

Pics? The best part of hard work is showing it off!

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m finally done with this little project, and as promised here are the photos.

First things first: the sleeving to be used in the project arrived

thesleevings.jpg

I also got new fans:

newfans.jpg

And here they are sleeved:

sleevedfans.jpg

As I’m only running the CPU’s fan from the motherboard all the other fans are being run through these for the optimal balance between cool and noisy.

fancontrolf.jpg

Next it was time to sleeve the front panel’s connectors:

mustsleeveeverything.jpg

The SATA cables also got sleeved:

satacables.jpg

Here are the LEDs and some of the vibration control measures. Pretty much anything that could move or vibrate got some sort of vibration dampening love.

lightsandnoise.jpg

Next up the heatsinks got removed, polished and re-greased, starting with the VGA heatsink:

shinyvgacooler.jpg

Here it is mounted back onto the video card:

assembledgraphicscard.jpg

The CPU got some loving as well. Here it is reflecting a button:

shinycommunistbutton.jpg

And of course the mandatory equation (Einstein’s equations sans his “biggest blunder”):

shinyeinstein.jpg

Now it was time for the main part of the project to begin: the sleeving of the PSU. First I removed the old sleeving:

nakedpsu.jpg

This was harder to do that I had expected as Corsair used the glue lined heatshrink making my life particularly difficult. Perhaps I ought to have used something to cover up my bed too, as those little fibers got embedded in the comforter for the long run.

The tools were summoned:

toolss.jpg

As you can see after a lot of hard work I’m almost done: :P

almosttherey.jpg

Now to the subject of this thread: the extra 2 pins got removed from 2 of the VGA power cables and sleeved on the other 2.

6vs8pin.jpg

After quite a bit more time I was done sleeving:

donesleeving.jpg

Now all that remained was to put it all back together:

fanandtower.jpg

So after some serious madness here’s how it looked like from behind:

fromthebacky.jpg

And from the front:

lightsoffpaneloff.jpg

Macro shots:

macrosleeving.jpg

macrosatacables.jpg

macrorolledup4pin.jpg

macro24pinner.jpg

And now to finish strong: the lights on low setting

lightsonpanelondimmest.jpg

highest setting:

lightsonpaneloff.jpg

lightsonpanelonbrightes.jpg

Final thoughts:

I need to figure out how people get their sleeved 24 pinners to look as if they are glued together and not 24 independently contorting wires. This is particularly difficult to achieve as 3 of the pins have 2 wires crimped together making any sort of arrangement almost impossible.

While this was an amazing experience, I’m extremely unlikely to do this ever again with a non-modular PSU.