Voided my Corsair HX 1000W

you Know I have never heard a fan on a PSU ramp up...?

I must not be driving it hard enough? I thought for sure the 4850X2 cards in crossfire (quadfire) would get the TX850 I have a little excited but nope...

anyways. good post but I would heed Paul's warning...maybe get a similar fan as a replacement?

Even unplugged a PSU can hold surprising amounts of voltage in the caps for quite some time.

Just a word of warning :)

Same with LCD monitors. I know this for a fact. I took apart an old laptop about 2 years after i stopped using it and still managed to give myself a healthy shock. I believe there are also similar caps in some laser mice. I dismatled(well destroyed is closer to the truth) a Apple mighty mouse and it was a shocking experience. Not strong but definitely there(need to upgrade my current tester).

I modded my Rosewill 1000w the same way for well over a year, and it's been fine. There's supposedly less CFM's, but it's still been enough to cool my PSU adequately, even through the summer(s). I also clean my computer of dust every so often, but there's nothing like cleaning dust by opening the PSU. There's incredible amounts of dust that I suspect is the cause of PSU problems later down the road.

Yeah, I know the Yate Loon has more CFM's, but the temps with the Noctua NF-P14 in the Corsair HX 1000w have been fine. There's good airflow coming out of the exhaust.

I'll keep an update in case my Corsair HX 1000w dies, that way people will know NOT to do it. Here's to hoping that never happens! :cheers:

Same with LCD monitors. I know this for a fact. I took apart an old laptop about 2 years after i stopped using it and still managed to give myself a healthy shock. I believe there are also similar caps in some laser mice. I dismatled(well destroyed is closer to the truth) a Apple mighty mouse and it was a shocking experience. Not strong but definitely there(need to upgrade my current tester).

Well at least the mouse was just 12v DC. :P

Power supplies use AC, which can literally kill you.

Dust is a HUGE killer of a PSU

Plus its added up if that dust contains Smoking from Cigarettes....I get quite a few smoker and dusty people who come in with rigs and popped PSU from dust...the Smokers who smoke at the PC usually only get a year or so even if they try to blow it out and the rig stinks bad...so bad I have to clean them outdoors...lol