Buying my first DSLR

Hey guys it has been a little while since I've made a post, but I'm back and have a slight problem I need help with. I have been wanting to get a dslr for a while now.i have been eyeing the Sony A33 Digital-SLT for a while now. It sits about $700 minus tax. It looks like a good camera but I hear lots of good things about Canon and Nikon offerings in the same range. Is the Sony a good buy or am I better off going with one of the other two brands? If you have any better choices for me I'm all ears! I'm looking to do just about everything with the camera, but mostly pics of my brothers sports events and nature photography.

Thanks for your time!

They are very good for entry level. Just be warned all DSLRS until you get to professional level ones have horrible lowlight performance. But the Rebel series is still very much worth the money. I have used one and it is fairly well laid out but kinda light and the lense had a plasticy feel. But then i am used to highend gear. (film gear). Good luck with your decision it is hard i know.

Merry christmas

• 1 month later...

I got a Canon T2i as my first DSLR, pretty good, I would say, way better than my point and shoot. Got it for my trip out to the west, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Hoover Dam, CA, that area. The pictures just turn out amazing. The ability to shoot at super high iso and noise reduction is just awesome. Your pictures can turn out like daytime even if you took it during night,

I ended up going with the Sony A33 and I'm very happy with it! It's handles the poor indoor lighting at our high school's gym like a champ, and is great for landscapes.

Here's some photos I've taken with it..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1514657&l=2d1eb92be5&id=1629872372

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1500313&l=7026846119&id=1629872372

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1520775&l=de35043ac3&id=1629872372

Nice looking pictures. My Sony Alpha 100 is starting to get a little old, make me wanna shop around for one myself lol

Well the A33 is a great buy if Price/Performance is important imo. Not quite as many lenses/accessories as Nikon or Canon but that's not a huge issue. I'm looking at getting the 35mm f1.8 Prime Lens for the basketball games and other general use.

I absolutely love that dog pic. :thumbsup: Mind if i borrow it for a desktop?

Haha go right ahead man. It's currently my background as well.

Hey guys it has been a little while since I've made a post, but I'm back and have a slight problem I need help with. I have been wanting to get a dslr for a while now.i have been eyeing the Sony A33 Digital-SLT for a while now. It sits about $700 minus tax. It looks like a good camera but I hear lots of good things about Canon and Nikon offerings in the same range. Is the Sony a good buy or am I better off going with one of the other two brands? If you have any better choices for me I'm all ears! I'm looking to do just about everything with the camera, but mostly pics of my brothers sports events and nature photography.

Thanks for your time!

Personally I'm all for the Nikon. My uncle has the d40 and his dad has the d90. If I could take either from them I would. The options for lenses is endless and the pictures they have produced are good enough for publication. Just from general shots they have both been asked to take pictures at sporting events and even offered money for wedding photos.

For action shots you really want a camera you can really adjust settings with. I love my camera -- but it's of course not a full SLR. Can only rotate filters. However I have full control of all the settings allowing me to draw on the walls with lasers and actually capture what I wrote with a low shutter speed.

Look forward to seeing some photos from what ever you deside to go for. :)