OC'ing X4 955

Krieg1337

I have been thinking that I should actually use my CPU to its full potential(Black Edition and I haven't OC'ed it). So I am a pretty big noob when it comes to OC'ing. Here is the info that you need(I think).

CPU - X4 955

CPU Cooler - Xigmatek S1283

MOBO - Asus M4A79 Deluxe

Memory - G. Skill DDR2 - 800

So my questions are, how do I OC? Do I OC the memory also while OC'ing the CPU? What programs do I use?

raze the vcore and the multiplier from bios

i have a 955 be to

goes perfect with the multiplier at 19x and the vcore at 1,42 - 1,45

exactly! goes well at 19x multiplier. if you have a C3 revision you can lower the vcore to 1.375 and still be stable at 19x (3800Mhz). That's what I'm running now.

I could push mine to 20x but have to bump up vcore to 1.45 which pushes it too hot for my tastes. It's not worth the extra heat for 200mhz faster speed.

Edited by Bodycount

I have a Asus M4A87TD. I am new to OC too. What I did was install Probe II first to keep and eye on the temperature 60C is the max CPU can get so I woul not let my be over 50C under load. I run Prime 95 to test. Then in the BIOS go to Ai Tweaker set the CPU to 16.0(that is stock just type in 16.0 and hit enter) then go to CPU Offset Voltage and type in 0.00000 hit enter. Exit and save. Go into windows start Probe II and see what temperatures for CPU and Mother Board and Vcore voltage are. Mine were about 33C CPU, MB 28C and Vcore at 1.28. With Prime 95 for about 30 minutes it would get to the MB to about 45C(at 15 minutes it would get to 45C and then just stay there so I would stop after 30 minutes) Then if temperatures are ok. Go back and try 17.0 CPU ratio at 17.0. Don't mess with the CPU Offset voltage. Exit and save. Check everything again mine is at 17.0 and 0.000 offset. Now are at that now and mine are CPU 34C , MB 28C and Vcore 1.31. With Prime 95 for 30 minutes 45C. Then just go up at .5 each time(like 17.5 then 18.0) But keep and eye on the temperature and I would let the Vcore go over 1.4 volts.

Hope this helps and good luck Johnny333

O if you want to go back to auto just type auto and enter

Edited by johnny333

I have a Asus M4A87TD. I am new to OC too. What I did was install Probe II first to keep and eye on the temperature 60C is the max CPU can get so I woul not let my be over 50C under load. I run Prime 95 to test. Then in the BIOS go to Ai Tweaker set the CPU to 16.0(that is stock just type in 16.0 and hit enter) then go to CPU Offset Voltage and type in 0.00000 hit enter. Exit and save. Go into windows start Probe II and see what temperatures for CPU and Mother Board and Vcore voltage are. Mine were about 33C CPU, MB 28C and Vcore at 1.28. With Prime 95 for about 30 minutes it would get to the MB to about 45C(at 15 minutes it would get to 45C and then just stay there so I would stop after 30 minutes) Then if temperatures are ok. Go back and try 17.0 CPU ratio at 17.0. Don't mess with the CPU Offset voltage. Exit and save. Check everything again mine is at 17.0 and 0.000 offset. Now are at that now and mine are CPU 34C , MB 28C and Vcore 1.31. With Prime 95 for 30 minutes 45C. Then just go up at .5 each time(like 17.5 then 18.0) But keep and eye on the temperature and I would let the Vcore go over 1.4 volts.

Hope this helps and good luck Johnny333

O if you want to go back to auto just type auto and enter

The temp for the 955be is 62c to 65c on the AMD site and in the owners guide and i've played with the chip some and stayed over 62c for sometime without problems you've got some heat room left :)

The temp for the 955be is 62c to 65c on the AMD site and in the owners guide and i've played with the chip some and stayed over 62c for sometime without problems you've got some heat room left :)

I wont go over 55C on mine for any reason. When I bumped it to 1.45v and 4000Mhz I was pushing 60C under full load which got me scared so I brought it back down to 1.375v and 3800Mhz. Now it's right around 55C under full gaming load.

exactly! goes well at 19x multiplier. if you have a C3 revision you can lower the vcore to 1.375 and still be stable at 19x (3800Mhz). That's what I'm running now.

I could push mine to 20x but have to bump up vcore to 1.45 which pushes it too hot for my tastes. It's not worth the extra heat for 200mhz faster speed.

That speed / voltage depends entirely on the chip you got and the motherboard you're running it on...