Noob Water Cooling

Nyt

If you're going for a bay reservoir why not pick up one of XSPC's dual bay reservoirs for D5 that way you can integrate the res and pump into one unit? Cuts down on clutter and two less cooling clamps to leak.

You'll be real happy with the MCP655 pump and XT waterblock.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going for a bay reservoir why not pick up one of XSPC's dual bay reservoirs for D5 that way you can integrate the res and pump into one unit? Cuts down on clutter and two less cooling clamps to leak.

:withstupid: That is what I do, less tubing and a cleaner look.

I could put the pump in the res ? Isnt that where the water is suppose to be ? Sorry if I sound like a noob guys :lol: I've never learnt about this kind of stuff

I could put the pump in the res ? Isnt that where the water is suppose to be ? Sorry if I sound like a noob guys :lol: I've never learnt about this kind of stuff

Yes and no. You remove parts of the pump and insert it into one half of the dual bay reservoir. The pump doesn't get filled with water, the other half of the reservoir does. http://www.xspc.biz/manuals/d5bayres.pdf

Yes. You remove parts of the pump and insert it into one half of the dual bay reservoir. The pump doesn't get filled with water. http://www.xspc.biz/manuals/d5bayres.pdf

Ok

What fittings are barbs,etc would I need ? What tubing size ? What are OD fittings and tubing and ID tubing and all that stuff I see ??

Why are there so many sizes like 1/4 and G1/3 ,etc ? What is all that stuff ?

What fittings and stuff should I get that work with all the parts I've chosen ?

Another option to combine the pump and res(using the mcp655 pump) is the koolance pump nozzle & res base with the tube res.

http://www.koolance....?product_id=934

check out pic 5. You can also see it in my pics.

If you want to go with the dual bay res, you may have to mod your case to get it to fit.

Edited by Water_Hazard

Ok

What fittings are barbs,etc would I need ? What tubing size ? What are OD fittings and tubing and ID tubing and all that stuff I see ??

Why are there so many sizes like 1/4 and G1/3 ,etc ? What is all that stuff ?

What fittings and stuff should I get that work with all the parts I've chosen ?

Lol, I was like wtf at first, too. So there are 3 sizes.

Thread - The size to screw in your barb. If your rad/pump/res have 1/4" threads, you want a barb with 1/4" threads. When it says 1/4" threads to 1/2" barb fitting, barb fitting size just means Inner Diameter size.

Inner Diameter size- Also applies to tubing. The more space, the more water passing through. The typical size is 1/2". So, if you want 1/2" size Inner Diameter tubes, you need 1/2" barb fittings.

Outer Diameter size - Just applies to tubing. It reflects how thick your tubing is. If the Inner Diameter is 1/2" and the outer is 3/4", then the thickness is 1/4". If you want kink coils, you'll want the 3/4" size since your Outer Diameter is 3/4".

Some people want bigger threads so there's less constriction of water flow. So the closest you can get is 3/8" threads to 1/2" barb fittings. If you get a waterblock/rad/pump/res with less constricted water flow, then you want them al to have 3/8" threads to 1/2" barb fittings... but there's more possibility of leakage since the parts may not be threaded for the O-ring to be snug enough (less room for error), or it might be easier to dent/bend/snap off (my theory, anyway).

Doesnt the res just fit normally in two drive bays ?

if your case has the tabs to help hold single bay items and the res doesn't have deep enough cut outs to accommodate, then you may have to cut the tabs or bend them back. I ran into this problem with my Danger Den dual bay res and my Corsair 800d

if your case has the tabs to help hold single bay items and the res doesn't have deep enough cut outs to accommodate, then you may have to cut the tabs or bend them back. I ran into this problem with my Danger Den dual bay res and my Corsair 800d

I mentioned this, too, with my Thermaltake Xaser VI.

The XSPC dual bay res will fit fine in most cases without any modifications. Height and width are the same as two optical drives stacked together. Depth isn't any deeper than any current cd/dvd rom drive, so installation usually isn't an issue, and mounting screw locations line up exactly with the holes or slots in the dirve bays for mounting a standard optical drive(s).

Here's a link from Sidewinder;

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacdu5refor1.html

A little more expensive than going a regular res without dual bay d5 support, but a whole lot cleaner installation and like I said before, two less connections to worry with. It really is a slick setup. Here's a pics if mine;

dscf3027copy.jpg

dscf3018b.jpg

Thats looks amazing !

In the HAF 932, there are CM clips to hold in cd drives , theres also steel pieces that stick out to hold single drives so would I have to bend those ones so a dual bay could fit in w/o being obstructed ?