Overclocking E8500 on Asus P5Q with Kingston 2x2GB 1066MHz CL5

Brutality

Hi, I finally got a new cooler and DIMMs for my computer (http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=179607&st=60&gopid=1862434entry1862434)

I installed everything and it seems to work fine but...

CPU-Z says weird stuff...

In BIOS I have set DRAM to DDR2-1066MHz frequency, and 5-5-5-15 timings and 2.3V (as instructed by manufacturer)

but in CPU-Z it says:

Memory tab:

4096MB DDR2... correct

DRAM frequency 539.9 MHz (wtf?)

FSB:DRAM - 5:8

CAS Latency: 5 clocks correct

Timings.. bla bla correct

SPD tab:

Slot#1:

2048MB DDR2 (correct)

Max bandwidth: PC2-6400 (400MHz) ??? these were my old ones wth?

Manufacturer: Kingston (correct - my old ones were Corsair)

Voltage 1.8V ???? I just set them to 2.30V in BIOS... I guess my old ones were at 1.8V?

Slot#3:

the same as above

Also, the CPU frequecy is 2GHz, and it should be 3.16GHz... I disabled SpeedStep (as far as I remember that's what causes it), but it seems to have no effect

It does however, sometimes go up to 3.16 for a second (and when on load, but not back to 2GHz), and then back to 2GHz

Is my BIOS bugged?

or could it be CPU-Z? when I got Start -> right click Computer then I see

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17GHz

Hmm, Everest says the same as CPU-Z :S

I am doing Prime95 testing now, the cpu freq. stays on 3.17GHz so it's not so bad... But don't you need to disable SpeedStep etc. when you gotta OC?

Do I need to update BIOS or something? I got on the feeling my BIOS is bugged :S

I cleared the CMOS while installing the new cooler and DIMMS, but I didn't do anything to the battery (it said in the manual it could be neccesary to do something I can't remember)... could this have anything to do with it?

meh 40*C during primetest95, sounds like alot :(

Which test should I use btw? Small FFTs, In-Place FFTs, or Blend?

or should I run each test 8 hours?

I misunderstood the program and accidently stopped a Small FFTs test after 6 hours >_<

PS. Currently running Blend test

PPS: I am following this guide:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=155400

EDIT1:

Do you need to do Prime95 after each overclock?

EDIT2:

I find it hard to figure out which drivers to install for my motherboard

Too many options when looking at motherboard drivers :S

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Motherboard => Socket775 => P5Q => Windows 7 64bit

Could anyone help me find those I need? I got on the feeling there are some I don't need

EDIT3:

Just wondering, when you compare DIMMs.. like when you need to figure out which to buy, does voltage have anything to say? like, is the 1.7V better than the 1.5V etc.?

BTW what's a RAID disk?

I also finally figured out how to get pics from phone to PC, check out attachment :P

I tried to push all the cables up in the upper right corner, I dunno if there is a better solution to improve airflow or whatever it's called =D

BTW sorry for this messy topic, but I need to have my computer ready and OC'd before tomorrow evening (27 hours from now), for a big LAN party, so I am getting nervous and stressed so I basically just copied the last post i did in my original topic to here (the forum it's posted in is now sort of wrong)

How much could I start with to overclock? During Prime95 the max temp seems to be 40*C

But don't I need to fix this BIOS thing first? :S

Edited by Brutality

RE RAM Info in CPU-Z: I have the same issue with my EVGA 780i SLi. I upgraded from 2gb PC2-6400 to 4gb PC2-8500 but CPUz still reads PC2-6400. I dont think it is anything to worry about. As long as the timings are read correctly in the SPD section.

DRAM Frequency: *I Think this is right* If you are running 2 sticks of RAM in SLi then the frequency is split between them e.g. 533MHz on each stick = 1066MHz overall.

Hopefully the more experienced members will reply soon for you.

Just a few questions embedded in that one post :whistling:

OK, cpu-z, multiply the frequency by 2, running just over 1066, fine

All 1066 memory is just overclocked 800 memory, that's why it shows PC2-6400, fine

Use the manufactures recommended voltage, if they state 2.3v use it or lower it and test, fine

Turn off all c-states (Eist,C1e,C3-6) in the BIOS if you don't want anything to downclock on you, if it's stable with them on why not leave them, up to you, fine

Do you need to stress after every OC, YES, even if it's a short test to see if it's close and then run it longer later

Blend is usually the go to because it stresses everything, since your in a hurry you may want to try Intel Burn or OCCT

The lower the voltage the better for Ram, one that states 1.8v vs 2.1v at the same timing and frequency is better

How far you can OC will depend on lots of factors including: you, your chip, your cooler, how far you want to take voltages and temperatures, etc., so you just have to try and see

BIOS is fine

Just a few questions embedded in that one post :whistling:

OK, cpu-z, multiply the frequency by 2, running just over 1066, fine

All 1066 memory is just overclocked 800 memory, that's why it shows PC2-6400, fine

Use the manufactures recommended voltage, if they state 2.3v use it or lower it and test, fine

Turn off all c-states (Eist,C1e,C3-6) in the BIOS if you don't want anything to downclock on you, if it's stable with them on why not leave them, up to you, fine

Do you need to stress after every OC, YES, even if it's a short test to see if it's close and then run it longer later

Blend is usually the go to because it stresses everything, since your in a hurry you may want to try Intel Burn or OCCT

The lower the voltage the better for Ram, one that states 1.8v vs 2.1v at the same timing and frequency is better

How far you can OC will depend on lots of factors including: you, your chip, your cooler, how far you want to take voltages and temperatures, etc., so you just have to try and see

BIOS is fine

God bless you

You sir, just won over ninethousand internets!

Thank you SO much, now I am alot more calm :D

But you're saying I don't need to disable SpeedStep etc. when overclocking?

About the "need to run Prime95 after each OC", I just meant how long is sufficient after each OC - The way I understood is is just min 8 hours first time to see if the cpu is stable at stock, and then when u OC you just stress it for x amount of time to see max temp, am I right?

Regarding overclocking, Nyt Ryda told me:

If you need help overclocking then post a thread and we'll help you. All it takes is disabling all power saving features and turbo boosts etc , a raise of fsb (start in small increments), raising voltages (not too much and sometimes its not even necessary) and dropping the memory multiplier to get the ram to run in its rated frequency (and good cooling).

What's the rated frequency? I tried to search for it in RAM manuals and data sheets but fail to find it

PS. It would be nice with a "first-step OC" :)

Bad news: I just got a FATAL ERROR in Prime95 after 7h 54min Blend test (385 tests done)

"Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4"

What do I do? :S

Also: it says consult stress.txt, but I can't find such file

Edited by Brutality

The rated frequency is like 1066mhz , sometimes when you oc , it raises the ram speeds as well . That is why you must try lower it to as close as possible to 1066mhz.

I would disable SpeedStep so that your oc has more stability . It might raise the clock higher and make it unstable.

Prime 95 - I normally do about 4 hours to see the oc is first quite stable and then I run a 24 hour run to see the max temps once I've set the highest stable clocks.

What you need to do is take a look at some decent overclocking guides that explain what the BIOS entries are for and get a better idea of what/how things work. It's a little time consuming but well worth it.

The normal procedure when OCing a 775 based system is to Disable all speed step (Eist,C-states), spread spectrums, lock pcie to 100, lock in all pertinent voltages (vcore,NB,SB,FSB), set your memory multiplier to 1:1, then start raising your FSB and adjust voltages as needed and do lots of testing for temperature and stability. More and more people these days are finding someones settings that are posted and just copying them to their Bios and hoping everything will work. How you choose to procede is completely up to you.

Once your set with your OC (cpu and ram), yes you can try re-enabling your speed step and see if it's still stable if you want to use it.

15-30 minutes of Prime when stepping up your OC is fine, then a longer run when you are finished to confirm stability is the norm.

Your rated Ram frequency is 1066 Mhz

The rated frequency is like 1066mhz , sometimes when you oc , it raises the ram speeds as well . That is why you must try lower it to as close as possible to 1066mhz.

I would disable SpeedStep so that your oc has more stability . It might raise the clock higher and make it unstable.

Prime 95 - I normally do about 4 hours to see the oc is first quite stable and then I run a 24 hour run to see the max temps once I've set the highest stable clocks.

Then I won't make it before LAN :(

Also, I just got a FATAL error in Prime95 :( see EDIT in above post

Also: How do you know when to raise voltage (vCore I assume?)

What is your cpu clockspeed at ?

I dont see why you dont run it stock for the LAN ? Overclocking shouldn't be rushed . Its a careful procedure.

3.16GHz aka. stock (I disabled Eist,C1e and C3-6 now, trying stress test again)

I just wanna play that beta game at the LAN with as good graphics as possible

Hmm, I would actually be breaking the NDA by playing it at a LAN wouldn't I? lol

Edited by Brutality

What you need to do is take a look at some decent overclocking guides that explain what the BIOS entries are for and get a better idea of what/how things work. It's a little time consuming but well worth it.

The normal procedure when OCing a 775 based system is to Disable all speed step (Eist,C-states), spread spectrums, lock pcie to 100, lock in all pertinent voltages (vcore,NB,SB,FSB), set your memory multiplier to 1:1, then start raising your FSB and adjust voltages as needed and do lots of testing for temperature and stability. More and more people these days are finding someones settings that are posted and just copying them to their Bios and hoping everything will work. How you choose to procede is completely up to you.

Once your set with your OC (cpu and ram), yes you can try re-enabling your speed step and see if it's still stable if you want to use it.

15-30 minutes of Prime when stepping up your OC is fine, then a longer run when you are finished to confirm stability is the norm.

Your rated Ram frequency is 1066 Mhz

What should I set these to? (vcore,NB,SB,FSB) is FSB here the FSB termination voltage?

PS. I can't find memory multiplier

Edited by Brutality