New Build

pkilway

I embarked on this new build when I was able to purchase an Antec Neo ECO 620W psu for only $34.99 AR as a Newegg.com Shellshocker. I've already purchased a number of items for my new pc, but thought I'd list the rest to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I do game some, but am starting to get into more video editing. I posted this thread about cpu's in the Processor forum, which led me to the Phenom II X3 740 AM3 CPU.

I wont be holding over any of my current pc parts, as I'll be selling my current rig to my parents for cheap. The E8500 will be more than what they'll need for years to come.

Already Purchased

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port

BluRay DVD Player: LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader Model iHOS104-08

Storage HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CPU HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 plus with a COOLER MASTER Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm PWM Fan

DDR3: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz AM3

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

BluRay Burner: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA iHBS212 LightScribe

Sound: Realtek ALC892 codec 2/4/5.1/7.1 channel HD Audio

Need to Purchase

Nothing it's on the way from Newegg.com!

While I might loose some frames rates in games with on-board sound, it's good enough that a sound card is just an add expense that I really don't need.

Edited by pkilway

Well if you're looking for a HSF that will keep everything cool, check this one out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

I've had it for a while, and it keeps my Athlon II X2 at room temperature, even when overclocked to 3.5GHz. That said, it might be a bit overkill, but I got it from a friend. Plus, it's on sale right now.

A Thermaltake Frio would do a better job than the cooler above.

Most of the other things look alright on this build. I'm not so sure about the X3 Athlon though. Everything else is high end parts except for the Motherboard and the CPU.

Not Athlon, I'm looking at the Phenom II X3. The Phenom II X4's have such a price premium for that fourth core. The Phenom II X3 740 is a 3.0Ghz cpu for $88.99 (OEM), the Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz cpu goes for $145.99 (retail - so not quite apples to apples for price comparison). I figure I have a 50/50 shot at turning the X3 into an X4 and have it run stable. I'm ok with the mobo too, it has all the options I was looking for. I don't plan on using CrossFire, but I might play with the Hybrid CrossFire a little.

Edited by pkilway

Not Athlon, I'm looking at the Phenom II X3. The Phenom II X4's have such a price premium for that fourth core. The Phenom II X3 740 is a 3.0Ghz cpu for $88.99 (OEM), the Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz cpu goes for $145.99 (retail - so not quite apples to apples for price comparison). I figure I have a 50/50 shot at turning the X3 into an X4 and have it run stable. I'm ok with the mobo too, it has all the options I was looking for. I don't plan on using CrossFire, but I might play with the Hybrid CrossFire a little.

Hybrid CrossFire or SLI isn't worth it, mostly a waste of time.