Q9450 struggle

IVIYTH0S

BSOD's usually mean something wrong with memory timings or CPU voltages. So it's unlikely that. A freeze means your system is locking up. If temps are fine, then my guess is that it has something to do with your memory. Try removing 4GB's and switching modules around to see if it may be one of your modules. Memtest might test your individual modules as being okay, but overclocking and syncing with 3 other modules might be interfering with your CPU clock synchronization. Just a guess.

Well, It has been years since I played around with my 9450 on my 790i, but in my experience, the simple freeze means you are close. When I'm overclocking I will get the no-boot, then the boot crash, then the BSOD, the the random windows freezes and sometimes restarts. So Although I cant tell you what's wrong by looking at your BIOS shots, I can tell you you're close. Adjust everything one by one up a little, up a decent amount, then down a little and down a decent amount. Time how long it takes to crash each time. That should help you narrow it down. I would recommend taking good notes for yourself to keep everything straight :) good luck! :thumbsup:

Yeah I know I'm so close!

Well if its nor memory its vcore. When i was really close to the required vcore for my overclocks with my i7(i know i know, different platform, but still) it would just freeze instead of crash. Give it just alittle bit more juice, like one or two bumps. Then see what happens.

You know what, it actually could be that...I mean it HAS been the only thing I've been ignoring (as I figured 1.25v would be enough for 2.92ghz...but I should have still tried it before and will now)

BSOD's usually mean something wrong with memory timings or CPU voltages. So it's unlikely that. A freeze means your system is locking up. If temps are fine, then my guess is that it has something to do with your memory. Try removing 4GB's and switching modules around to see if it may be one of your modules. Memtest might test your individual modules as being okay, but overclocking and syncing with 3 other modules might be interfering with your CPU clock synchronization. Just a guess.

Now it's not freezing so Mercury might be onto something, I got a failure on one core but the system is still running (posting from it now :3 ) after two hours of Prime which is well over the usual time it takes to freeze.

I'm gonna bump the vcore up a hair!

Update:....Strange, I upped the vcore two clicks and now the first two cores failed instead of the 3rd and/or 4th.

Maybe my CPU reference voltages are a little low?

Possibly, give them alittle more juice as well. See what happens. But im pretty sure we are on the right track with it being cpu voltages.

Possibly, give them alittle more juice as well. See what happens. But im pretty sure we are on the right track with it being cpu voltages.

I do too, the freezes have all stopped now it's just core failures.

Yeah Idk, it runs stable as hell....outside stress testing haha.

it just core fails like a mutha, vcore and cpu ref don't seem to help (only hurt)

:( I'm so close but I just can't find what's wrong

Im pretty much at a loss of this one then. Maybe experiment with the pci-e freq.??

My three best guesses at this point, would be:

North bridge not being able to keep up, so could up the voltage a bit there...

-or-

ICH voltage.

-or-

CPU PLL

Now compared to what ive seen on C2Q's your voltages are already pretty high up there on all 3 of these settings... HOWEVER, most people arent using a FSB of 500+ either. So Im really inclined to believe that you need either more on the MCH(Northbridge right?) could try 1.425, or 1.45 maybe. Could try the CPU PLL as well i suppose, maybe try 1.7?? ICH is just a weird voltage that i was required to change to get my 4.2Ghz OC stable, so i dont know how upping the voltage of the south bridge helps, but it did help me on a very high OC, but it looks like you've already upped it quite a bit too.

Hopefully these are outrageous voltages and im leading you to the death of another MoBo!