How do you know if someone is trying to hack your wifi?

donanderson

Exactly so what point was he trying to make? :dunno:

If someone started capturing packets on a network that only had MAC address filtering the person could easily get a list of MAC addresses and then look up them up to find out what vendor they belong to and then from there be able to determine which hosts are computers and what ones are just printers or non important devices.

The point is most people who do wireless hacking know what there doing and MAC address filtering is only going to slow them down slightly and every time you get a new wireless device to join your network you have to go into the router and update the approved MAC address list which can be frustrating if you have a lot of friends and family that come over with there laptops and itouchs and wifi enabled phones it's just not worth the administrative effort to use it as a security measure.

So, just out of interest, do any other devices software use WPA2 encryption?

Almost all Wireless N devices support WPA2, most Wireless G devices support it to although some early wireless cards that were made when G just came out may not support it most Wireless B devices do not support WPA2.

Edited by fire_storm

Don't you need physical access to change the admin password on most routers? I know it's that way on my wireless (linksys) router.

No. I was able to change mine through wireless with the Zyxel modem/router that was provided to me by Qwest.

dont listen to me???

lol ok :)

i basically said that the best protection is, MAC filtering, WPA2 encryption with a strong password, disable SSID (didnt say that i forgot.. ) and im giving out the wrong info?? lol

ok :)

while i dont work in IT, i am studying it, hence why i said, all that stuff.. BUT i didnt think getting a MAC address was that simple.. and then using it to get into someones router.. We got told to always use it with everything else..

Guest ajmatson

dont listen to me???

lol ok :)

i basically said that the best protection is, MAC filtering, WPA2 encryption with a strong password, disable SSID (didnt say that i forgot.. ) and im giving out the wrong info?? lol

ok :)

while i dont work in IT, i am studying it, hence why i said, all that stuff.. BUT i didnt think getting a MAC address was that simple.. and then using it to get into someones router.. We got told to always use it with everything else..

For the most part you were right, WPA2 and SSID disabling is a nice secure way. MAC filtering imho is useless. Using a packet snffer such as WireShark and a few tools (which I am not going to post here for abuse of security reasons of course) I can spoof my physical MAC to look like a legitimate MAC in a few seconds. This is weak security and while being combined together (multi-factor security) they will do the job, MAC filtering is a thing of the past and should be placed in a box with WEP and forgotten. :)