linux for old p4 dell

camaro_dude15

my sister was gifted a computer and when she gave it to me to upgrade it, with random stuff i had, it is a very old dell p4 2.0 ghz with 128 mbs of ddr i think, not completly sure on the amount, and a 10 gb hdd, i out fitted the rig with a 100 gb drive, the only ide i had in my collection! and a dvd drive, long story short all the windows disks i have are 64 bit so i need an os and i dont want to put any money in this rig, will ubuntu run on this system and which version should i use

EDIT: i did upgrade the ram to a total of 1.2 something gbs

Edited by camaro_dude15

i tried it with the usb stick no go i guess i have to wait till i have any cd media to make a disc

also can you fold with ubuntu? not that this machine will even produce a wu in a whole day but every point counts

Edited by camaro_dude15

i got ubuntu running, i had to go get a disc, i went to the store down the street 6 bucks for a pack of 5 cd media. i was upset, its all i could do, i live in a very small town. couldnt figure out why the folding client wouldnt work for me, to bad it will be a few weeks before i return this system but thats probably a whole extra 50 ppd!

• 4 weeks later...

i ran into problems something wasnt working right so i tried to reinstall it and 3/4 the way through it says failed to install bootloader pick a differnt location, and it show the partitions to select but none of them work

What exactly wasn't working right that required a reinstall? Ubuntu is relatively pain free to run, even on older hardware. You are going to have to reformat it seems if it won't allow an install, or your install media is scratched or corrupted. I'd suggest reburning and verifying, even reburn at a much slower speed. I'm still interested to know what exactly wasn't working right.

You're going to catch hell trying to get Ubuntu to install, with such little memory. Unless you go with a Ubuntu minimal install. For older model machines, I recommend Crunchbang Linux , works great out the box for low ram pc's. There lots of other disto's designed specifically for older pc's. also check out Distro Watch

In an edit to the first post he stated he added roughly a gig or ram. Regardless still a good suggestion, but ubuntu tends to work out of the box with minimal fuss, especially on such old and mature hardware.

its my sisters pc and i had her put in a password for it and she immediatley forgot that password and i tried to reinstall it over the original install and it just wasnt having any of it, the first time i installed it, it worked awesome, untill the computer went to sleep or a screensaver, not sure witch and it asked for the password and no one knew it