Q8400-P45 OC

sileb13

Hey, first off, I would consider myself quite novice when it comes to overclocking... I get the basic idea, and it was much easier when I had an OC-friendly E2180, but now I have a Q8400 and it's not so nice. I have a stable overclock at ~3.2GHz with temperatures rarely going over 50 degrees C and no errors in prime95 after about 12 hours of testing, but I have hit the well known wall at 400MHz on the FSB. I literally cannot get my machine to boot at 401. I have done quite a bit of research and I now realize the joys of overclocking a P45 board past 400MHz and it is very difficult. I know this is completely system-unique but I would appreciate any help at all.

Here are my specs:

Processor:

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

CPU Cooler:

Coolermaster V6

Graphics Card:

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P

Operating System:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Edited by sileb13

as previous post mentioned you should check multiplier, also check ram in bios, it's overclocking alongside with cpu, in that case downgrade the speed on rams. I got pretty similar setup E8400 @ 4.3GHz, GB board EP-45 UD3R, 2x2 1066 DDR2 ram, customized CM V8 cooler, HAF 932. I don't think that P45 is holding you back

as previous post mentioned you should check multiplier, also check ram in bios, it's overclocking alongside with cpu, in that case downgrade the speed on rams. I got pretty similar setup E8400 @ 4.3GHz, GB board EP-45 UD3R, 2x2 1066 DDR2 ram, customized CM V8 cooler, HAF 932. I don't think that P45 is holding you back

OH YEAH! Make sure your memory isn't going over it's stock rated speeds!

From what I've seen, most P45 Gigabyte boards have a strong FSB, seen quite a few go to 480, to over 500.

Most of what I've seen needed a bit of tweaking to the FSB VTT, and CPU PLL

But as stated above, make sure your memory is not exceeding it's stock limits! That will shut you down quick!