Opinions

synvice

Hello, my birthday is in december and with the money ill be getting i want to basically rebuild my computer. Im running an HP thts parts are being cooked (my measely gtx 260 is at 80ish celcius >.< and my i7 920 is around 70-80c as well) and so i figure while im changing the case i might as well change out some other parts. So im wanting to get a head start and plan for what ill be getting. First of all im looking at using a CM HAF X for my case, i know a little overkill, but i wanna have a really good case so i can reuse it later. Second im looking at getting a MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1gb, and was thinking i could OC it some to get a better bang for the buck than getting a GTX 480, and was wondering if i could use my GTX 260 as a physx card, since the 460 uses DX11 im not too sure if it will work. Also ill be wanting to OC my CPU so i've been looking at a Promilatech Megahalems to cool the CPU, and was wondering if i should get a better mobo to do so, according to CPU-Z its a Pegatron corporation mobo, never heard of them myself, but i know that companys will hire other companys to make parts that work only in their system. I dont want to replace the RAM will that hinder any OCing? Also what wattage PSU should i get? I've been looking at a CM Silent Pro 1200 watt PSU, because i want enough room that i could possibly add another card or two later, is that a good choice of PSU?

Thanks in advance.

First thing if its an HP you will have to change the board in order to overclock your CPU.

Second yes you can use the GTX 260 for PhysX but its not really going to do much for you with a GTX 460.

As for the PSU that is fairly high for the rig you are running or wanting to upgrade too, a good 700 - 800 Watt PSU would do just you just fine with two GTX 460's.

First thing if its an HP you will have to change the board in order to overclock your CPU.

Second yes you can use the GTX 260 for PhysX but its not really going to do much for you with a GTX 460.

As for the PSU that is fairly high for the rig you are running or wanting to upgrade too, a good 700 - 800 Watt PSU would do just you just fine with two GTX 460's.

:withstupid:

Your 260 is well in it's safe temp range, though do all i7's run that hot at stock clocks and voltages (on stock cooling)??

Definitely get the 460 but then sell the 260 to make back some of the money.

The Megahalems is an awesome cooler and if OC'n I highly recommend it, also get a nice high end x58 board because like Bosco said, you can't often OC (and if you can not well) on a prebuilt motherboard

:withstupid:

Your 260 is well in it's safe temp range, though do all i7's run that hot at stock clocks and voltages (on stock cooling)??

Definitely get the 460 but then sell the 260 to make back some of the money.

The Megahalems is an awesome cooler and if OC'n I highly recommend it, also get a nice high end x58 board because like Bosco said, you can't often OC (and if you can not well) on a prebuilt motherboard

will an ASUS P6X58D-E suffice? its appears to be a middle grade board, atleast from what i've read of it

yeah i figured that i would need another copy of windows, can i use a single copy and put it on several drives? Thanks Bosco, i think ill get that one then, also i been hearing that having 6gb of memory will yield better OCs than having 12gb is that true? whats wierd is that i have 9gb... dont know exactly how they did that, but when i go to take it apart i guess i'll see, havent really looked at the memory, just been dusting off the heatsink and GPU fan lately.

yeah i figured that i would need another copy of windows, can i use a single copy and put it on several drives? Thanks Bosco, i think ill get that one then, also i been hearing that having 6gb of memory will yield better OCs than having 12gb is that true? whats wierd is that i have 9gb... dont know exactly how they did that, but when i go to take it apart i guess i'll see, havent really looked at the memory, just been dusting off the heatsink and GPU fan lately.

You can use the same copy, just give microsoft a call. i cloned my dad's OEM XP onto another drive that he'd be using on a different computer and then I just needed a validation code from Microsoft to use it again.

Ok, looking through newegg again i see this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289 and some reviews say bad things about it, and i know that some people just blow smoke. I read the OOC review and based on that it seems solid, im wondering if it would be a better choice than the ASUS board i was planning on getting, and seeing as there is only a 70ish dollar difference, if its worth it, i would spring for the more expensive board, whats your opinions?