Installing Mac OS X on a Windows machine

Avinexis

Hey guys. I'm thinking of picking up a copy of OS X because there are a lot of Mac-specific music programs that I can use for my music studies. I already own Windows 7 64bit so here are my questions.

• Can I install OS X (Snow Leopard, I'm guessing) on a regular PC which originally housed Windows?
  • If so, can I dual boot Windows and OS X?
  • What steps do I need to take to install both?
  • Any advice or tips that you think are essential?

Many thanks guys. This would make my studies so much easier if this is possible. :thumbsup:

This is a site that you can use. Basically just google hackintosh and you can get a bunch of guides that you can use. Just make sure that the files you use support your motherboard.

Personally I just run Snow Leopard in VMware. It's a little slow but all I do is simple Iphone app programming and I don't need a lot of power for that. But that needs a special kind of file to make it work. If you want I can try to find where I got it.

Edited by TheHippi

I have put windows on a mac but not the other way around. And doesn't 'Hackintosh' indicate hacking, as in not straightforward install.

Yeah, I was hoping for a straightforward install. If "hackintosh" is the only way then by all means I'm not surprised and if it comes to it, it shouldn't be a problem at all, the only problem is that my processor doesn't natively support Virtual Machines, and I'd need to have multiple music tracks open simultaneously so it'd probably run too slow.

The macs at school run dual-bootable with Windows but of course, they're macs. This is a PC I'm refering too. I'll still check out the website nonetheless :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I was hoping for a straightforward install. If "hackintosh" is the only way then by all means I'm not surprised and if it comes to it, it shouldn't be a problem at all, the only problem is that my processor doesn't natively support Virtual Machines, and I'd need to have multiple music tracks open simultaneously so it'd probably run too slow.

The macs at school run dual-bootable with Windows but of course, they're macs. This is a PC I'm refering too. I'll still check out the website nonetheless :biggrin:

Yes you can actually....try iatkos S3 or Hazard 10.6.2

both should work fine if your system is new.......ie C2D or higher........ if it is AMD ....might be bit of a problem....but there are ways to get around it......

Yes you can dual boot with windows 7......you just have use the boot loader Chameleon......or even Grub will do.........

head over to insanelymac[dot]com[slash]forums for more info

I've heard of other guys in my DAW classes making hackintoshes to varying degrees of success. Honestly, from what I hear, anything you'd need to run on Mac (Logic,...... that's all I can think of atm) is really going to run right on a hackintosh. Which programs are you looking to run?

this is the latest guide on building a hackintosh, and it seems pretty stable.

Edited by F13Bubba

I've heard of other guys in my DAW classes making hackintoshes to varying degrees of success. Honestly, from what I hear, anything you'd need to run on Mac (Logic,...... that's all I can think of atm) is really going to run right on a hackintosh. Which programs are you looking to run?

this is the latest guide on building a hackintosh, and it seems pretty stable.

I needed Garageband, Logic, and the name of the other one escapes me right now, but basically I need all of these programs for music at my college :thumbsup:

I needed Garageband, Logic, and the name of the other one escapes me right now, but basically I need all of these programs for music at my college :thumbsup:

Nice! I'm an Audio Production major :) Btw, garageband sucks, just sayin lol