Watercooling & Overclocking noob seeks advice

Hero

I would wait a while and get all new parts... Second hand stuff is almost never as relable as brand new parts. Not to mention you cannot go and get anything back if a second hand water block res or pump leaks on your system.

Check out my rolling working log of my Haf, towards the end there is the scond portion where i Installed a water system in it. been reliable for the last year and a half so enjoy. cheers.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome

The "old school" idea is a collection of concepts from different forums/tutorials i was considering putting together up for a very cheap effective starting system. This one was suggestign a pond pump

http://www.spodesabode.com/archive/content/article/watercool/2. Very informative guide as it happens.

Reading back, my description of the whole idea painted a bad picture. Essentially I was looking at using a car radiator, 'perhaps' a pond pump and a home made reservoir. Waterblocks, pipes, barbs etc I would be getting 2nd hand. I know the setup works (not sure about the pond pump really) as many people have done it. I just didnt know if it would be a good starting point for a beginner or more of a seasoned veteran's project.

What do u think?

Lol, I need to learn to post quicker. I think I'm going to start buying brand new parts for a solid WC system. Might give the old school thing a try if I run into some free/very cheap parts along the way for training and of course fun purposes

Gonna have a look at your project now boinker

Again, thanks for the input guys. Muchos Gracias

Lol, I mentioned the "old school" idea to a friend about 3 days ago andhe's brought me a pond pump. Sigh.... just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again. Ive got some p4 cpu's and mobo's somewhere I think. I know theres no benefit but I'm going to try and setup a system in an old case, just to get my feet wet..... see what I did there?

I'll let you know how it goes. Peace

Hi

I thought that originally but different peeps seem to say different things. Differs from board to board and chip to chip too. I guess something cooler is better than something....ummmm.....not cooler? I modified my gfx card cooling and added 2 fans pointing at it which dropped the idle temp to 48 deg C from 90 so at least thats running safe now. So I think I'll start with just the CPU, and add components, maybe another loop, as I go along.

So you never cool your NB at all apart from the general case airlow Drdeath?

Hi

I thought that originally but different peeps seem to say different things. Differs from board to board and chip to chip too. I guess something cooler is better than something....ummmm.....not cooler? I modified my gfx card cooling and added 2 fans pointing at it which dropped the idle temp to 48 deg C from 90 so at least thats running safe now. So I think I'll start with just the CPU, and add components, maybe another loop, as I go along.

So you never cool your NB at all apart from the general case airlow Drdeath?

You will not reap any benefits. Just put a 90mm fan blowing on it and call it a day.

I suppose if it needed cooling that much they would put a fan on it by default. Thanks for the advice Drdeath, much appreciated. Nice hardware btw

If you cool it, you really won't get much more out of it(frequency). Cosmetically it does look cool.

Edited by Drdeath

just a thought, but have you given any consideration to a kit? i know swiftech and alpha cool have some really good starter kits (with high end components) at a reasonable price. good pumps, radiators, CPU blocks. it would probably be a lot cheaper than going piece-meal and your guaranteed to have everything you need (down to the fluid and/or corrosion treatment). and if you wanted to change a component, you would only have to buy that one item - if any at all. i pieced mine together and it ended up costing quite a bit (note: full coverage GPU blocks with all the acoutrements can add up pretty quick). just food for thought.

Edited by bschmidt71