i7 930 @ 4ghz

Hemidare

Yeah thanks for that but i have heat problems and not sure why especially with the noctua DH-14 I have hit 90 degrees and i dont even have the voltages that hi. 1.3 on the core and its ridiculous not sure why, i have reseated my cooler 2 times now and no difference. I am confused. The i7 930 is a d0 stepping to.

Some of the 930s run really hot when you start putting any voltage to them. I have a 930, and had a Mugen rev 2 heat sink on it, had the same problem as you, had to settle for 3.8 at a little less volts. Ive got water cooling now, so i dont have that problem any more, at 1.45 volts im running high 60 to low 70 temps, when running prime.

You might just have to settle on something other than what you really want, or do something like what i did.

Edited by crazy8s846

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the 930s run really hot when you start putting any voltage to them. I have a 930, and had a Mugen rev 2 heat sink on it, had the same problem as you, had to settle for 3.8 at a little less volts. Ive got water cooling now, so i dont have that problem any more, at 1.45 volts im running high 60 to low 70 temps, when running prime.

You might just have to settle on something other than what you really want, or do something like what i did.

Thanks i had a feeling that would be the case. 3.8 is pretty good until i go for water cooling. I will start backing the clock and the voltages down and see where i am comfortable. Thanks for that.

Thanks i had a feeling that would be the case. 3.8 is pretty good until i go for water cooling. I will start backing the clock and the voltages down and see where i am comfortable. Thanks for that.

Yea 3.8 is really good, considering were you started at. They say for gameing 3.6 is the sweet spot, as far as getting more FPS.

You have Hyper-threading off, and are still getting 90 degrees...

Are you sure there isnt anything wrong with your HSF?? Have you tried running it open case just to make sure the fans on the heatsink actually start up, i mean 90 with a NH-D14 no matter the poor batch your CPU came out of is unacceptable IMO. I think you should RMA that thing, put your i7 back to stock settings and pop that stock intel back on. Wait for your NH-D14 to come back and try again.

Atleast go through the effort to make sure you NH-D14 is running properly, like maybe the middle 140mm fan is not working right and all you have a single 120mm fan on that GIANT heatsink, wouldnt be very effective.

Also one of the settings you have disabled: OC Stepping = Disabled... i dont know what that is because ive never used your board before, but maybe you should look into what it does, i mean that sounds like it would be good for OC'ing.

Also i agree that 3.6Ghz is the sweetspot, thats what i run mine at, I run it at 3.6Ghz with only 1.1vcore, it never gets more than 60c on the hottest core, and i can vouch that there is absolutely no increase in FPS between 3.6 and 4.2 even. There is however a major difference between 3.6 and 4.2 in Benchmarks, but hey, we dont sit around playing benchmarks all day do we?

Well i appreciate everyone's responses but it looks like i will need to wait until some more people start playing around with this board. Cause i cannot for the life of me get this board stable at 4 ghz with temps under 80 degrees. I always spike to 85 degrees and i have reseated the heat sink a couple of times now with artic mx3. And every review i read says yes we got it up to 4.6 ghz stable but no description of the settings they used to achieve that clock. The book that came with the motherboard gives you very broad descriptions that don't explain anything. Ughhhhh frustrating. Thanks again though

What reviews said they got a i7 930 to 4.6GHz?????? If they did, it was an unstable overclock. I never saw any review that claimed this statement........

What reviews said they got a i7 930 to 4.6GHz?????? If they did, it was an unstable overclock. I never saw any review that claimed this statement........

Sorry it was an exaggeration but any overclock over 4 ghz has no explanation of how they got there.

You have Hyper-threading off, and are still getting 90 degrees...

Are you sure there isnt anything wrong with your HSF?? Have you tried running it open case just to make sure the fans on the heatsink actually start up, i mean 90 with a NH-D14 no matter the poor batch your CPU came out of is unacceptable IMO. I think you should RMA that thing, put your i7 back to stock settings and pop that stock intel back on. Wait for your NH-D14 to come back and try again.

Atleast go through the effort to make sure you NH-D14 is running properly, like maybe the middle 140mm fan is not working right and all you have a single 120mm fan on that GIANT heatsink, wouldnt be very effective.

Also one of the settings you have disabled: OC Stepping = Disabled... i dont know what that is because ive never used your board before, but maybe you should look into what it does, i mean that sounds like it would be good for OC'ing.

Hyper threading is on all the time. It is kinda weird cause i have the NH-D14 blowing hot air out the back of my case with another 140mm helping exhaust the hot air. The case is a 800d btw.

Oh yeah as we speak i have p95 running and i am peaking at 83 degrees on the hottest core right now. 3.8ghz Core voltage 1.250 QPI 1.300, I don't understand why it is running so hot.

Edited by Hemidare

Hyper threading is on all the time. It is kinda weird cause i have the NH-D14 blowing hot air out the back of my case with another 140mm helping exhaust the hot air. The case is a 800d btw.

Oh yeah as we speak i have p95 running and i am peaking at 83 degrees on the hottest core right now. 3.8ghz Core voltage 1.250 QPI 1.300, I don't understand why it is running so hot.

So strange...I got similar parts to you but I managed to get to 4.3ghz stable with max load temps at 86c. That's on a NH-D14 too...and I was still wondering how I get such high temps.

My multi is at 21 and BCLK is at 205. Vcore is at 1.34625.

Do you have enough air intake? From what I heard its better to have higher pressure in your case rather than less pressure. I got 3 x 120mm fans sucking in and 1 x 200mm fan pulling out.

So strange...I got similar parts to you but I managed to get to 4.3ghz stable with max load temps at 86c. That's on a NH-D14 too...and I was still wondering how I get such high temps.

My multi is at 21 and BCLK is at 205. Vcore is at 1.34625.

Do you have enough air intake? From what I heard its better to have higher pressure in your case rather than less pressure. I got 3 x 120mm fans sucking in and 1 x 200mm fan pulling out.

Yeah its kinda weird cause i have 140mm intake from the bottom and three 120mm fans sucking hot air out the top, and also a 140mm fan pulling air out directly from behind the nh-d14. I will take a picture and show you.

post-3457-12855317964997_thumb.jpg

post-3457-12855317842965_thumb.jpg

I have thought of turning the noctua so it exhausts out the top toward the three exhaust fans. I wonder if that would make a difference. Oh and i checked to make sure both of the fans are running while the system is on and yes the 140mm and the 120mm are running on the noctua. I do find it weird that i either have a really hot 930 d0 stepping cpu or have a bum NH-D14.

I guess i could use that as an excuse to just convert to water-cooling.

Edited by Hemidare

I dunno... all things seem to point to a bum i7-930... if your willing to spend some money, buy a i7-950 from Microcenter.com, they are $230... better chips regardless. Then try some sweet OC'in with that. If it turns out your 930 just sucked. Ebay it, you will get most your money back, i mean it over clocked to 3.8 with no issues. 1Ghz overclock is amazing no matter how you look at it, it might not be up to your standards of breaking 4.0, but someone else might be happy to see that it does 3.8 with no issues, after selling it and buying the 950 you prolly wont lose much money and will have a better processor(x23 multiplier!) one way or another.

I dunno... all things seem to point to a bum i7-930... if your willing to spend some money, buy a i7-950 from Microcenter.com, they are $230... better chips regardless. Then try some sweet OC'in with that. If it turns out your 930 just sucked. Ebay it, you will get most your money back, i mean it over clocked to 3.8 with no issues. 1Ghz overclock is amazing no matter how you look at it, it might not be up to your standards of breaking 4.0, but someone else might be happy to see that it does 3.8 with no issues, after selling it and buying the 950 you prolly wont lose much money and will have a better processor(x23 multiplier!) one way or another.

Yeah i might end up doing that. And yeah i am happy with a 3.8ghz overclock. Just wanted 4ghz just because why not? Right?