Watercooling my Q6600

Waco

yep, the water bug got ya waco...pretty soon you'll be as addicted as Lindsey Lohan...hehehe

I don't really think I even want to change anything at this point...it's so damn quiet and cool. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see so you won a watercooling kit and immediately replaced it with better stuff. Good job:P

Nice work with the system, looks very nice and clean especially for a first attempt. I will have to throw my hat in the ring soon enough...maybe after the wedding (1 month away).

I see so you won a watercooling kit and immediately replaced it with better stuff. Good job:P

Nice work with the system, looks very nice and clean especially for a first attempt. I will have to throw my hat in the ring soon enough...maybe after the wedding (1 month away).

I'll grab some pics with the upgrades I just added later tonight if I have time. I'm not horribly happy with the tubing job but it's not bad.

Also - congrats on the soon-to-be wedding!

Edited by Waco

I'll grab some pics with the upgrades I just added later tonight if I have time. I'm not horribly happy with the tubing job but it's not bad.

Also - congrats on the soon-to-be wedding!

Thanks bud.

Looking forward to the pics!

Well I have some bad news...

After playing with it some more it's become apparent that the Swiftech Caldera heatsink is nowhere near adequate on its own for cooling the VRMs on the board. After a while it heats up considerably and I see temps on the VRMs skyrocket when running Furmark/Kombuster...so much so that after a few minutes the card will lock up entirely with the VRMs running at nearly 150 C. :angry: It's okay for gaming with temps settling in the high 90s (Dragon Age was my test) but it's completely unable to complete even 5 minutes of Kombuster @ stock speeds.

At first I thought I mounted the cooler improperly so I tore the whole thing apart and checked the contact with each of the components on the board. The VRMs were definitely contacting the heatsink properly...so there went that theory. The stock cooler performed better than this (even though the temps were high at least it was stable).

I shot an email off to Swiftech about it - it seems extremely odd to me that they'd release a product specifically designed for a single application and fail miserably at besting even the stock cooling solution for vital parts of the board. :blink:

Is the Temperature of the cpu coming up also? If you a running the fans at a lower speed then they are actually effective then the water in the system will eventually heat up enough to where it cannot be cooled under the conditions it in. (same way a car overheats) did you try turning up the fans by chance while that was happening to see if the water was getting too hot?

The GPU temps are stable in the low 40s when it does this.

I got an email back from the owner of Swiftech and he essentially told me that I shouldn't worry about it since Kombuster isn't a game and no game can stress the card this much...which doesn't assure me in the slightest. His own testing shows Furmark (which is less stressful that Kombuster) hitting 135 C on the VRMs on his 4870x2 after a few minutes...well out of spec as well though he didn't seem concerned. :-/

I'm not too happy about this. :(

The GPU temps are stable in the low 40s when it does this.

I got an email back from the owner of Swiftech and he essentially told me that I shouldn't worry about it since Kombuster isn't a game and no game can stress the card this much...which doesn't assure me in the slightest. His own testing shows Furmark (which is less stressful that Kombuster) hitting 135 C on the VRMs on his 4870x2 after a few minutes...well out of spec as well though he didn't seem concerned. confused.gif

I'm not too happy about this. sad.gif

Boinker was asking if CPU temps rose with the new GPU waterblock. If the CPU temps rise then it is either a rad or flow problem......

Boinker was asking if CPU temps rose with the new GPU waterblock. If the CPU temps rise then it is either a rad or flow problem......

Doh. I read that completely wrong lol.

No - CPU temps remain within a couple degrees of normal when running it. The test doesn't run anywhere near long enough for the water to actually heat up - Kombuster will crash the card and Furmark (the OpenGL version) gets it uncomfortably hot within 2 minutes or so.

I tested it with the fans running full speed and aside from the GPU temps dropping about 1 degree the VRMs still overheat in no time. The heatsink for them gets too hot to even touch. :(

I'm arranging a return with the store I bought it from - does anyone know any good full coverage blocks for the 4870X2? I've seen a DangerDen block still for sale as well as an older EK block but I'm all open to suggestions. :)