overclocking Phenom II 965 x4

i can only get 3.8 ghz stable even if i bumped up the voltage i would get bsod during prime95 at 3.9 and 4.0 i dont know what the max safe voltage is so i backed it back down to 3.8 and it was stable at defualt voltages. any one have any pointers this is the first time ive tried to oc something

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the multiplier until extra voltage will not do the trick. After that its a game of finding the majic setting that lets you go further. I had to stuff 1.50 volts to my phenom 965 to get it stable at 4.0 Ghz, and after that the FSB would not move up one at all. If your stable at 3.80 and max load is 50-55c under a stress test then I would call it good for a while until a better cooling solution is available. As far as a safe voltage that is going to be for you to dicide... given the temperature its time to get a new heat sink or liquid cooling before you go and give it more juice. The settings I had under water cooling 24 hour stable Phenom II x4 965. Max temperature 50c on a hot day with occt linpak going. Not to say these will work (they likely will not given the board and chip difference) but they worked just fine on mine. Remember "every chip is unique" so your going to have to fiddle with it. (the guide I posted below will explain a ton of this)

Vdda 2.8

NF200 1.26

North bridge 1.26

HT voltage 1.22

NB multiplier x12 (or 2400 Mhz depending on your board)

Cpu to NB voltage 1.350

Cpu core voltage 1.500

cpu Multi x20

FSB 200

P.S.

if you can Post a screen shot of your cpu-id cpu and memory tabs. this would help us help you along with your systems specs in your sig or in a post.

There is also a good guide out there for phenom II's Dolk's guide to the phenom II. Try to read it all. there is alot of good stuff in there. Its where I started out anyhow.

Edited by boinker

You can push a lil more than 55 (not much)...

You have too much info not stated. Take pics of your bios settings with a digital camera or the pic on your phone and post them. Simply throwing out settings that worked for someone will not always work on yours. Every system is different.

Edited by Drdeath

here is a screen shot but it seems i dont have a camera or know anyone close by that does but i could probably write all the settings down, im trying to find all my rebates i have saved up so i can go get a better cooler, any suggestions, i kinda like the noctua nh d14

Edited by camaro_dude15

I cant open the thumbnail to see for my self, but I suspect that you have the c2 revision. Thats what I have, and those hit a wall at 3.8. you can push as hard as you like, but it's not going to be stable. Another way to tell if its c2 is if its the 140W version. The c3 revision is 125W and can go past 4 easily. If it is the c3 then something weird is going on.

ok i tried 4.0 ghz again but this time with 1.5 core voltage and ran prime 95 after 20 minutes it hit 65c so i shut it down but i call this progress becuase all previous attemps gave me a bsod at about the 15 second mark in prime 95, getting a new cooler soon

Edited by camaro_dude15