Good temps for i5 760?

Miek

I'm doing some more stress testing, and I'm wondering what good temps for my stock clocked (for now...) i5 760 would be.

I've been running Prime 95 for about 5 minutes as of this post and my temps are:

Core...

0: 50 C

1: 48 C

2: 47 C

3: 49 C

I think that's OK. 50 C under 100% load, albeit only for 5 minutes so far.

My fan controller for my case fans (Noctua NH-U12P is plugged directly into the MOBO into CPU_FAN) is actually turned to the lowest because it's quiet. I could probably shave a degree or two off of my temps if I cranked it up.

I also noticed that my i5's base clock is 133.66MHz and not 133 (giving me a clock of 2.94GHz and not 2.8GHz) as advertised. Is that normal? I don't think I changed anything for the CPU in the BIOS.

What's the hottest it should get? What should I aim for? What should I try to keep it at (or below) for idle? Medium load? Full load? I'm new to this whole "performance PC" thing, so pardon my noobishness.

Edited by Miek

The only temps that are truly important are load temps. While its nice to have low idle temps, if your CPU gets damaged it will not be a result of idle temps 99% of the time. Everyone is different in what they deem acceptable temps and this also varies by what CPU you have and what it can take. Sometimes a good judge of max temps you should be running at is looking at the load temps with the stock CPU. I don't have any experience with the 750 but I would imagine anything under 75c would be acceptable. Again some people would say thats too hot but IMO it would be fine.

Thanks. I am going to leave Prime95 run overnight and check my temps in the morning (please don't fry, processor).

I'm aiming to keep 100% load temps at around 60 C when it's at stock.

EDIT: OK. After 8 hours of Prime95, my highest temp was 60 C on Core #0.

Edited by Miek

You're right. Upon further review, it does seem a little high. I was looking through reviews and I noticed that my heatsink was keeping an i7-920 at 45° C @ stock while under load. :glare: I am certain that it's seated well, though. I did the vertical line method to ensure that I covered all the "hot spots" most effectively and a wiggled it back and forth a little tiny bit to help spread the paste as I attached it to my MOBO. The HSF is bolted down nicely to the motherboard using the instructions that came with it. I turned the screws until the stopped and it definitely feels secure.

My avg. temp for that is 48.5° C, which is 3.5° C higher than the 920. That seems odd, considering the i5-760 is a 95w CPU and the i7-920 is a 130w CPU with Hyperthreading.

My BIOS reports that my CPU fan is spinning at about 1200RPM (I am not using the low or ultra low noise adapters). Maybe there's a way to increase it?

I used the included Noctua NT-H1 paste. Maybe it has to set a little bit or something? Time to work the Google machine.

Edited by Miek

The only temps that are truly important are load temps. While its nice to have low idle temps, if your CPU gets damaged it will not be a result of idle temps 99% of the time. Everyone is different in what they deem acceptable temps and this also varies by what CPU you have and what it can take. Sometimes a good judge of max temps you should be running at is looking at the load temps with the stock CPU. I don't have any experience with the 750 but I would imagine anything under 75c would be acceptable. Again some people would say thats too hot but IMO it would be fine.

Tcase for your 760 is 72.7c so at or below that is wonderful. intel specs

Oh? Awesome, then. I am 24.2° C under that, but that's just at stock. Hmm... I think that if I overclock I might be cutting it close to that.

Edited by Miek

Oh? Awesome, then. I am 24.2° C under that, but that's just at stock. Hmm... I think that if I overclock I might be cutting it close to that.

after looking around a bit it seems like the Tjmax is 100c = thermal shutdown = have some fun with it miek...so far you have plenty of headroom !

OK then, sounds good. :P

When I start overclocking, I think I may need some (actually a lot...) of assistance. I've never done any kind of overclocking before (unless accidentally using my on-MOBO controls to up my bclock by 1 MHz during building counts :P).