Why overclock?

Shadowtroop

Wouldn't overclocking just be stupid if you couldn't notice the difference? Obviously I do and that's why I overclock, I want my games to run smoother. If you have well overclockable parts, the difference can be very significant.

Wouldn't overclocking just be stupid if you couldn't notice the difference? Obviously I do and that's why I overclock, I want my games to run smoother. If you have well overclockable parts, the difference can be very significant.

I think that borders on a theoretical question, because depending on what you overclock and how far you overclock it you can notice a difference. You might be measuring that difference in productivity, in FPS, in FAH PPD or even maybe only in benchmarks. But if it's measurable it's different right?

At least I think so :)

And others have mentioned that it can be fun and addicting as well. Using my case as an example, I've been playing around with computer gear for years now. As a result of this Mushkin 3DMark06 contest here at OCC I decided to push my hardware to extreme limits (something I don't normally do). I've been content for months running my i7 920 at 3.80Ghz - but I figured what the hell.

So I kept pushing and pushing and pushing and guess what - I got a stable overclock at 4.4Ghz! To some extent this is a lifetime achievement for me, because this is the fastest processor that I've ever owned now (and I'm 47 years old) and owned a lot of them :)

Posted Today, 12:05 PM

View PostFlibo, on 26 August 2010 - 10:40 AM, said:

I think that borders on a theoretical question, because depending on what you overclock and how far you overclock it you can notice a difference. You might be measuring that difference in productivity, in FPS, in FAH PPD or even maybe only in benchmarks. But if it's measurable it's different right?

At least I think so :)

+1.

Overclocking allows you to take a piece of sub-i-want (less than you want) and make it want you want pay less for the same. I cant afford a i7 980x but i can make my 930 perform 32% better than a 980x for 74% less $'s. In my opinion that is why we do it, at least that is why i am learning to do it. Now i haven't made it preform quite this high yet but it has been done.

Who (unless they are filthy rich and just after kudos) would not get satisfaction out of saving money and still getting more performance.

My $0.02 worth. :fp: