235fsb Hyperx Pc3500 Nf2 Chipset

well im really likeing this abit nf7-s its a ton better than the a7n8x dlx that i am now on my 3rd rma, seems every 6 months my asus has had to be rma'ed. straped on my swifty mc159 northbridge cooler and am running 235 fsb and climbing. im thinking about doing the volt mod to get some more juice to the n/b maybe 250fsb will be possible . here are my sandra mem scores cas2.5 3-3-11 2.9 volts this is in single channel also

Edited by FanATIc205

the ram seems to be holding up fine for now at least. i havent tried to go above 235 yet running prime 95 for a few hours to make sure its stable before i venture further. really need some pc4000 right now to really see how high it will go. if it does fail im gonna run memtest 86 to see if it was the ram that made it unstable

Edited by FanATIc205

do a vdimm mod too! That RAM can handle more than 2.9, although I think the NF7-S overvolts a bit, it says my vdimm is 3v right now. Then you can tighten up those timings. 235FSB is still wicked bad, good job man.

well im hitting some issues now. it seems that when the n/b is getting to hot might have used to much thermal paste? im getting errors after a few mins all the way down to 217 fsb and with the stock cooler i did a a 48hr prime95 test @225fsb and 2480 mhz on the cpu. thats why im thinking i used to much thermal paste and its insulating the n/b witch is not good. i just cleaned some of the extra off the base of the cooler and it was alot lol. if that doesnt work i got some packs of white thermal paste i can use right now im using the stuff that came with the aerocool dp-102 it says its 25% silver

Edited by FanATIc205

Fanattic, I have that same moterhboard and that chipset is a very picky thing. I'd suggest some different, but easy, cooling options. Like if you just wanna do a one time test of the thing, put a fan near it somehow (you'd be amazed what a row of zip ties can do with an open case :P)

I've gotten up to 235FSB myself before Windows stops loading, and I know my RAM and my PCI/AGP/IDE devices aren't to blame. Never thought it might be the N/B thou. I might reset it later with some ASC I have lying around. Good luck.

well it apears that i used to much thermal paste on the first aplication i cleaned off the silver gunk and used some plain ol white silicon thermal paste and it seems to be doing better. all of a sudden after about 30mins at 235 fsb it would instantly crash prime 95 at anything over 217fsb but know its humming along at 220 with no problems. the cooler im using is has a fan on top and the dp102 with smf2 is blowing alot of air towards the n/b cooler. guess i should of left well enoguh alone and kept the stock cooler on there lol. ohh well at least ive learned how much is to much thermal grease on the n/b lol. right now the system is not in a case i have it sitting on top of the mobo box it makes it alot easier to test heatsinks that way

well i guess i got the right amount of thermal paste on the 3rd try lol, most n/b are concave some more than others and do reguire a little more than a cpu, but i added a lil to much. happy to say that things are humming along now 225fsb 2480 mhz prime has not failed in the last 20mins witch is a good sign. :D i went ahead and put my locked 2500+ back in as it clocks the highest of the 2 2500+ i have :D

Edited by FanATIc205