12 volt 6 pin spliter

Can I use this splitter, one on each of the 2 12v rails of a BFG Tech 650 to run 2 5830 vid cards in crossfire ? will be temporary untill I can get a beter PSU.

cab-147.jpg

The System

Gigabyte 790xDS4 AMD9850BE Thermaltake V1 CPU cooler

2 X 5830 in crossfire

1 SATA HDD

SATA DVD R-RW

PCI TVtuner card

4 120mm fans

1 200mm fan

Sure you could be it seems pointless to me. You can still only get the same amount of current down the cable because the cable coming from your PSU will be the "bottleneck" (hope that makes sense). In otherwords it's the same as just using one connector straight from the PSU (AFAIK). I would forget about the adapters and use one 6pin on each GPU. Or wait until you get a better PSU before you put the second card in.

Sure you could be it seems pointless to me. You can still only get the same amount of current down the cable because the cable coming from your PSU will be the "bottleneck" (hope that makes sense). In otherwords it's the same as just using one connector straight from the PSU (AFAIK). I would forget about the adapters and use one 6pin on each GPU. Or wait until you get a better PSU before you put the second card in.

the PSU only has 2 6 pin connectors. I need 2 for each card right? I have never run cards in Crossfire why does it have 2x6 pin connections on the card?

the PSU only has 2 6 pin connectors. I need 2 for each card right? I have never run cards in Crossfire why does it have 2x6 pin connections on the card?

so you need 4 12 volt rails to run 2 cards in crossfire?

The cards need 2 connectors each because of the current draw. Adding the splitter will not allow you to draw more current. So it is effectively useless in your situation. You don't need 4 RAILS for your cards. What you need is 4 connectors coming directly from the PSU. Whether is has 4 rails or 1 won't really make a difference (OK it does but Im trying not to go there).

Well you did your homework right. the quality of games you'll play now will be so good it may make Noodles and not answering the door worth it.

BTW whats you going to do with the 650... Got another system in the works now.