First Build Under 1000

PeterJ3

Thinking about doing my first build, right now I am only using a laptop that I got for college 2 years ago and I decided I need a gaming rig. Looking to spend less than 1,000$ probably closer to 800$. Put together some things on newegg and this is how it looks.

CPU: i5 Lynnfield 2.66GHz

MOBO:GA-P55 LGA 1156

CASE:Cooler Master RC-690

PSU:Cooler Master RS-500 500W

FAN:Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

RAM:Corsair 4GB XMS3 DDR3

HD:WD 640GB Caviar (Have external hard drive so don't need more storage until later)

CD/DVD:Lite-on DVD writer

650$ without video card

No idea what card to get, I want to run games very well.

Suggestions? Feel free to post a completely new build if this one sucks.

Thinking about doing my first build, right now I am only using a laptop that I got for college 2 years ago and I decided I need a gaming rig. Looking to spend less than 1,000$ probably closer to 800$. Put together some things on newegg and this is how it looks.

CPU: i5 Lynnfield 2.66GHz

MOBO:GA-P55 LGA 1156

CASE:Cooler Master RC-690

PSU:Cooler Master RS-500 500W

FAN:Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

RAM:Corsair 4GB XMS3 DDR3

HD:WD 640GB Caviar (Have external hard drive so don't need more storage until later)

CD/DVD:Lite-on DVD writer

650$ without video card

No idea what card to get, I want to run games very well.

Suggestions? Feel free to post a completely new build if this one sucks.

On the video card side, if you do want to stay closer to 800 than 1000, get the Nvidia GTX 260 1G version. It's around 220 and is an excellent card at that price point. If you want to spend closer to $1000, then you can look at a higher end Nvidia card of the ATI 5850/5870. Ultimately, decide on your video card budget first. The answer of "what is best for me" begins with your price point.

On the video card side, if you do want to stay closer to 800 than 1000, get the Nvidia GTX 260 1G version. It's around 220 and is an excellent card at that price point. If you want to spend closer to $1000, then you can look at a higher end Nvidia card of the ATI 5850/5870. Ultimately, decide on your video card budget first. The answer of "what is best for me" begins with your price point.

Great advice thank you I will look into that card.

You could do a GTX 460 if you wanted to run DX 11, a GTX 470 is also within you budget but they are power hungry, your psu could handle it but I don't think it could handle another if you did SLI. A 5870 would put you about $50 over budget but if you can handle that it wouldn't be a bad idea. You could also use 2 5770's for the same performance of a 5870 for a little less or as low as $300 depending on the model 5770 you buy.

Ya i'd bump up to a nice 650W, get a better cooler, maybe get the seagate 500GB they are inexpensive and good (thing neweg has a sale on them too). Maybe get different memory too, corsair memory is almost always asking too much