switch + router = no connection

daniel

Okay here is my current setup

Internet -> Router ->(PC's, Switch) ....switch ->PCs and another router

my issue is the following when ever i connect the switch to the primary router i lose my internet connection and also i cant access the router itself, i use to havethis same setup but with second router going before the switch but it was a bottle neck b/c the router did not work at 1000mbits/s

my router is a dlink dgl-4500, my swtch is a dling dgs-1008D, im not sure where im going wrongbut everyhing collapses once i connect the cable

any help is appreciated

thanks

dan

I would connect it as Modem - Router (PCs) - Router (PCs) - Switch. Disable DHCP on second router.

Configure seperate IP addresses for the router. For example, mine:

Modem : 192.168.0.1

Router 1: 192.168.1.1

Router 2: 192.168.1.2

Switch: N/A (Just connect to any available port).

Make sure the two routers are connected to each other. All Linksys and 1 generic hub for me.

I would connect it as Modem - Router (PCs) - Router (PCs) - Switch. Disable DHCP on second router.

Configure seperate IP addresses for the router. For example, mine:

Modem : 192.168.0.1

Router 1: 192.168.1.1

Router 2: 192.168.1.2

Switch: N/A (Just connect to any available port).

Make sure the two routers are connected to each other. All Linksys and 1 generic hub for me.

before you go spending a ton of money make sure the cables/rj45's are good...crappy cables/connections cause all kinds of problems.....even if you believe with all your heart they're good, test 'em....switch to router should be a crossover cable, not a straight thru...

As others have said, the issue is going to be related to DHCP. Make sure it is only enabled on the router connected to the modem.

Also ensure that each router has a unique IP, and that this IP is NOT part of the DHCP pool (most routers default address is 192.168.0.1, if both routers occupied this address, you would get no internet)

The order in which they are connected plays no effect. Unless you are using the WAN port of the second router.