Overclocking Q8200

lzgr

I have:

MB: ASUS P5QL

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

RAM: 2x kingston KHX6400D2/2G

GPU: nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512mb RAM

HDD:Western Digital WD6400AAKS (640gb)

I want to overclock my CPU and i want you to help me.Can this CPU go on 3ghz? Tell me what to do.

Edited by lzgr

Hello,

I'm not that good with Intel but I'll try to give u a little start.

What you want to do is first of all, have some monitoring software. I suggest CPU-Z, Core Temp. Then some stress testing software like OCCT, Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. These are all free so just google each name and download the program.

Then for the actual overclocking, you go into the BIOS and look for the FSB value. You want to increase that little by little. In CPU-Z you'll see your current speed, your voltage, your FSB and your Multiplier. Those are the most important. So you increase the FSB little by little in the BIOS, and after each one, you go into the OS and you do a little 30 minute stress test to see if the CPU is stable. If so, you go back to the BIOS and increase a little more and back to the OS and stress and repeat. When you start failing your Stress Tests or the PC doesn't boot, that's a sign that a little more voltage is needed on the CPU. If you don't know where the value for the CPU voltage is located in your BIOS, ask here and someone will tell you. When you find the voltage, increase it by 1 value and do the stress tests until it passes. Then you repeat all this again. The way to calculate your CPU's speed is this: FSBxMultiplier=CPU speed in Mhz. So for example my CPU's speed is 3.1Ghz or 3100Mhz. To calculate this I would do this: 200x15.5=3100. 200 is my FSB and 15.5 is my multiplier. This can be usefull when aiming for a certain speed because you can calculate the value that you'll need to be aiming at.

After a while, you'll reach a place where only adding voltage won't help. You should be able to recognize this because no matter how many times you go back to the BIOS and up the voltage, the PC will fail tests or won't boot. Don't continue adding more voltage because that is bad. Just let it chill for a while and come back here with the results you've achieved so we can help you take it further if it's possible.

Another important thing is that you absolutely need a new cooler because the stock Intel cooler is only there to keep the CPU alive at it's stock speeds. If you try to overclock with that stock cooler, you could seriously damage the CPU... and we don't want that to happen.

EDIT: When doing these overclocking threads, it's also nice to provide some screen shots with CPU-Z ("CPU" and "Memory" tabs) and Core Temp opened up so that we can see clearly what is going on with your PC. That we can help you more effectively.

Edited by ballist1x

Thank you.I will buy Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cooler for this job. I read somewhere that I need to turn off some energy saving settings like EIST. I got 0.1 GHZ (now on 2.4GHz)

cpucore.png

Edited by lzgr

Thank you.I will buy Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cooler for this job. I read somewhere that I need to turn off some energy saving settings like EIST. I got 0.1 GHZ (now on 2.4GHz)

cpucore.png

Yes, while you are overclocking it is a good idea to turn off any power saving feature. On AMD it's called Cool 'n' Quiet so you are looking for the equivalent of that which is EIST and should be in your BIOS. You can turn it back on after you are done with the final overclock, but leave it off while you are in the mids of the overclock and you are doing the testing n stuff.

• 8 months later...

The Q8200 is hard chip to OC, lucky if you hit 3.2+ Ghz because of that low multiplier. sad.gif

:withstupid: :withstupid:

I had a hard enough job with my 8x multi, if you get an epic overclocker like my old p45 3.5ghz is attainable though (500FSB)

hopefully the p43 chipset has some of the overclocking potential that the p45s have

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

intel p45 with 1066mhz Ram

can do..

but many thing to play with

T_T

Didn't know if you'll get this or not with the age of the post, but thought I'd try! I've been able to get to 2.93ghz with Corsair CM2X2048-6400CS RAM. I have OCZ2P10664GR (4x2gb) on the way and was wondering if you could coach me on oc'ing to what you have. I have a P45 mobo (GA-EP45-UD3LR). I haven't installed the P45 mobo yet, I'm waiting on the RAM and will install all together along with a Xigmatek Loki cooler with dual fans. I got to the 3.93 on a P35. I've been running FAH for a while now at 68 degrees max temp using an Asus V-60 cooler. I've also lapped the CPU, which helped by at least 5 degrees, maybe more. I'm new to overclocking, so any help would definetely be appreciated!