OC help.

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new here :D I've been using this site for a few months but only recently decided to join.

I currently have a AMD Phenom II X2 550 which I overclocked to 3.7GHz on stock cooling and 1.39v and it was originally 3.1GHz and 1.29v. Currently my OC is stable but occasionally refuses to boot and I was wandering if anyone could provide some advice to help improve stability and possible push 4GHz. Would increasing my RAM voltage help much? It's currently at 1.8v but my motherboard won't let me change it unless I go to 2v.

post-72547-12795646460524_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new here :D I've been using this site for a few months but only recently decided to join.

I currently have a AMD Phenom II X2 550 which I overclocked to 3.7GHz on stock cooling and 1.39v and it was originally 3.1GHz and 1.29v. Currently my OC is stable but occasionally refuses to boot and I was wandering if anyone could provide some advice to help improve stability and possible push 4GHz. Would increasing my RAM voltage help much? It's currently at 1.8v but my motherboard won't let me change it unless I go to 2v.

Hello Imagine. Luckily, I've got the same CPU so I will help you as much as I can. First of all, you should know that all CPUs overclock differently, even if they are the exact same model. This means that you might not be able to get to 4.0Ghz. I had the same trouble when I was overclocking and I ended up with my max stable overclock at 3.9Ghz. My cpu goes up to 3.6Ghz on stock voltage and everything.

Now, concerning your problem. If it doesn't boot sometimes then you need more voltage on the CPU. Also a good aftermarket cooler helps to go higher with less voltage thus less heat (I know you have one if you're overclocking but I'm just sayin'). I think that it's a waste adding more voltage on 3.7Ghz so I suggest you push it more and see how far you can climb before a voltage increase doesn't help anymore. At that point you are going to need to increase the NB Frequency to about 2100Mhz...I think, and also the NB Freq. voltage. That should get you some additional stability if not a little extra overclock. The next step after that is tightening the RAM timings, or loosening them. It's up to you but note that with a loosening of the timings you'll probably get extra overclock but for the price of ram speed so it's either one or the other. I think tightening the timings also helped but you'll need to up the Ram voltage too but that can be a bit difficult since RAM these days doesn't have sensors so you can't really tell the temp so go slow with the RAM voltage. It's been a while since I overclocked my CPU so maybe I'm forgeting something but try what I suggested and you should get some more overclockage.

P.S. - Just to make sure you know: The 550 is a Black Edition so it has an unlocked Multiplier making the overclocking easier so use just that and not the FSB. I think I remember someone saying that it also keeps the heat down a bit more than using the FSB. In any case, it's easier to use and better for your CPU.

Good luck.

EDIT: An excellent guide to read for Black Edition CPU overclocking is Dolk's Guide.. It helped me a lot.

Edited by ballist1x

There's the strange thing my mobo seems to top out at 15.5x multiplier which is what my CPU uses. Which is strange. I'll try playing with the RAM a little I'll try loosening the timings before voltage increasing.

There's the strange thing my mobo seems to top out at 15.5x multiplier which is what my CPU uses. Which is strange. I'll try playing with the RAM a little I'll try loosening the timings before voltage increasing.

EDIT** Strangely enough if I even play about with memory it will refuse to boot into windows whereas if I boot with memory and stock timings and voltage it suddenly decides to boot. I think it would be a good time for me to get a new cooler too. This might be the limit of the stock cooler.

EDIT** Strangely enough if I even play about with memory it will refuse to boot into windows whereas if I boot with memory and stock timings and voltage it suddenly decides to boot. I think it would be a good time for me to get a new cooler too. This might be the limit of the stock cooler.

Oh my, you shouldn't be overclocking with a stoke cooler. In order to optimize the CPU price those coolers are only good enough to keep the CPU alive at stock speed.

As for the mobo strangeness, it should be unlocked up to 20.0 and more I think. That's the point of the Black Editions..they are unlocked... if you post your mobo model, maybe someone could help you out since I'm not very good with different mobos...but I'll try too.

Also, what is your RAM?

Well my RAM is 4GB DDR2 originally at 800MHz but due to the OC its now at 956MHz. My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 I think it might be that I'm using AM2+.

Well my RAM is 4GB DDR2 originally at 800MHz but due to the OC its now at 956MHz. My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 I think it might be that I'm using AM2+.

But of course, although the AM3 chips fit and work on an AM2+ mobo, it will always decrease performance segnificantly. Get yourself a nice mobo and some good RAM sticks and you'll be in overclock-vill.

These days it doesn't cost much to get good hardware. A mobo and RAM could go up to 400$...if you wan the really good stuff.

G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - 105$ + free shipping.

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 Motherboard - 168$ + free shipping

All coming down to 273$ + free shipping. And I didn't even look super hard... so with some more looking around you can get an even cheaper deal with quality hardware. (that's if you live in the US but I'd imagine that where you are it also doesn't cost much...since hardware isn't expensive in general)

Edited by ballist1x

But of course, although the AM3 chips fit and work on an AM2+ mobo, it will always decrease performance segnificantly. Get yourself a nice mobo and some good RAM sticks and you'll be in overclock-vill.

These days it doesn't cost much to get good hardware. A mobo and RAM could go up to 400$...if you wan the really good stuff.

G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - 105$ + free shipping.

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 Motherboard - 168$ + free shipping

All coming down to 273$ + free shipping. And I didn't even look super hard... so with some more looking around you can get an even cheaper deal with quality hardware. (that's if you live in the US but I'd imagine that where you are it also doesn't cost much...since hardware isn't expensive in general)

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=35563&category_id=1126&manufacturer_id=0&tid=90-mib7p0-g0eay00z

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=36115&category_id=1126&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ga-ma785gm-us2h

How about this because right now my budget is quite low and I still want to get 3rd party cooling. I'm pretty happy with the performance of my current RAM setup also which is why I don't want DDR3 just yet, besides prices will only come down in the end.

Edited by Imagine

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=35563&category_id=1126&manufacturer_id=0&tid=90-mib7p0-g0eay00z

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=36115&category_id=1126&manufacturer_id=0&tid=ga-ma785gm-us2h

How about this because right now my budget is quite low and I still want to get 3rd party cooling. I'm pretty happy with the performance of my current RAM setup also which is why I don't want DDR3 just yet, besides prices will only come down in the end.

Go with the Gigabyte but read some reviews for the mobo first to see if it's really worth it.

Also when getting a cooler for the CPU, read reviews to see which is the best for the price. That's how I got mine. Plenty of reading from different sites. Mine is a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 with a 120mm fan and it costs ~50$. It can sustain a 4.0GHz overclock with a decent temperature so I think it's pretty high quality for it's price... but you could always look for something different that you'd like better.

Any time Imagine :)

As for the cooler and fan: Great choice for both. Noctua is currently the number 1 cooler brand out there so you can't go wrong with their coolers although they are a bit pricey. Later on in the year I might get one for myself if I manage to make some money. Xigmatek also has good CPU coolers but I'm not very familiar with them and I haven't read much reviews of their products so I can't say for sure but I've seen Xigmatek fans often in builds. See if you can find (and if your finances allow it) a Noctua 120mm fan... they are also good unless you want LEDs. Also, I'm not sure if the Xigmatek fan you showed has double bearings since it doesn't say, so another good brand to check is Antec since they make good double bearing fans. All my case fans (and case) are Antec with LEDs and they look good and are pretty quiet.

Edited by ballist1x

Any time Imagine :)

As for the cooler and fan: Great choice for both. Noctua is currently the number 1 cooler brand out there so you can't go wrong with their coolers although they are a bit pricey. Later on in the year I might get one for myself if I manage to make some money. Xigmatek also has good CPU coolers but I'm not very familiar with them and I haven't read much reviews of their products so I can't say for sure but I've seen Xigmatek fans often in builds. See if you can find (and if your finances allow it) a Noctua 120mm fan... they are also good unless you want LEDs. Also, I'm not sure if the Xigmatek fan you showed has double bearings since it doesn't say, so another good brand to check is Antec since they make good double bearing fans. All my case fans (and case) are Antec with LEDs and they look good and are pretty quiet.

Xigmatek heatsinks themselves are fantastic, and do a much better job of cooling then the stock AM2+ cooler (still not a horrible cooler). I use one myself and I noticed my overclocked 9950 will top out where the stock cooler started at with a stock CPU. They have the ability to deal with more expensive coolers well, and I would recommend them to anybody on a tight budget. Noctua on the other hand, is known for huge prices and huge coolers. Their fans can go full-blast yet make little to no sound thanks to their special design, so they go for a pretty good premium.

Antec makes dang good cases for sure (300 owner right here) and their case fans are still in the upper bracket.