i7 Overclocking Problem

Hi Guys

I've built a few PC's in the past and never experienced any trouble when overclocking. Recently I purchased some components and put together the following system (The graphics and PSU are from my older system, about 1 year old):

Core i7 920 (DO version)

Gigabyte X58 - UD5

6Gb 2000Mhz G.skill Trident RAM (Triple Channel)

2 GTX 280's in SLI

1200W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU

1TB samsung spinpoint hard drive

The problem is that any overclocking i attempt, even small levels such as base clock 140Mhz, my computer refuses to start up. My lights flicker on for a second, switch off for a few, then flick on again and finally off permenantly until i turn off the power and turn it back on. A clear CMOS fixes this problem. I'm stuck with running my brand new i7 on stock speeds! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm using a Noctua NH-U12P, temperature is not an issue)

Thanks

Ok... Now it's getting weird. When i press the power button, occasionally the lights will flick on and off, then the computer will actually start up a few seconds later. (This doesn't happen when it is not OC'd. When no OC is applied it starts up without fail.)

Memory timings are attached to the post:

Default timings are at stock speed (2.66Ghz, (BClk 133Mhz x20))

OC Timings are at OC'd speed (3Ghz, (Bclk 150Mhz x20))

I have left all other settings at their defaults (mostly auto set values by the motherboard)

I'm starting to think it might be PSU problem, it operates flawlessly when started up. It even manages to survive hours of a prime95 stress test with no errors, OC'd or not.

Any more help would be awesome guys. :)

Thanks again.

post-66229-1279291403493_thumb.png

post-66229-1279291414299_thumb.png

Hi Guys

I've built a few PC's in the past and never experienced any trouble when overclocking. Recently I purchased some components and put together the following system (The graphics and PSU are from my older system, about 1 year old):

Core i7 920 (DO version)

Gigabyte X58 - UD5

6Gb 2000Mhz G.skill Trident RAM (Triple Channel)

2 GTX 280's in SLI

1200W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU

1TB samsung spinpoint hard drive

The problem is that any overclocking i attempt, even small levels such as base clock 140Mhz, my computer refuses to start up. My lights flicker on for a second, switch off for a few, then flick on again and finally off permenantly until i turn off the power and turn it back on. A clear CMOS fixes this problem. I'm stuck with running my brand new i7 on stock speeds! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm using a Noctua NH-U12P, temperature is not an issue)

Thanks

Hi

Check your ram settings. I played with mine and it stopped booting. It did this half hearted start up and it never made to the bios screen. Reset bios.

I have the Kingston 2000MHz 6Gb ram and I now set the voltage to 1.64v and the system memory multiplier is at 14 (i think). So it is running at 1866Mhz.

If you do OC, make sure you change your memory multiplier because changing BLK will increase your ram speed. So, keep your ram speed under 2000Mhz. I did not do that once and it stopped booting...

When I got the ram speed under 2000, everything was fine.

Good luck.

When overclocked (To 3Ghz (BClk 150 X 20)), leaving the voltage setting on auto has it max at about, 1.296V. I have also tried manually setting the voltage to 1.3V, 1.35V and 1.3625V. All of these voltages have the same result. Sometimes it boots up, sometimes it doesn't. I feel that pushing it any further would be pointless.

I have been checking that the RAM speed does not exceed the 2000Mhz limit. The RAM is running at no more than 1800Mhz when overclocked. (Refer to previous pictures to see)

Really weird position I'm in... I'm thinking it's time to try switching some components to see what the cause is.

Note: I have tried overclocking the RAM individually by adjusting the RAM multiplier and the computer has booted successfully every time the BClk is left at 133Mhz or below.

Keep the ideas rolling in! :D

Thanks again

Edited by Mikogekz

Adjust for the naming convention of BIOS options on the UD5 board. I've put asterisk beside very important voltage tweak.

CPU Ratio Setting - 20

Intel Speed Step - Enabled

Intel Turbo Mode - Disabled

DRAM Frequency - 1904

UCLK Frequency - 3809

QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

Dram Tiiming Control

8-9-8-24

Command Rate - 2N (just to start with - will try 1N later)

Everything else on Auto

Voltage tweaks;

CPU Voltage: 1.306

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.90v

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.475******* (this is very important - start at 1.55v and work your way down)

IOH Voltage: 1.3v

IOH PCIE Voltage: 1.5v

ICH Voltage: 1.2v

ICH PCIE Voltage: 1.5v

DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64v********(this is very important - start at 1.64/.1.65 and work your way down)

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: AUTO

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA: AUTO

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: AUTO

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB: AUTO

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: AUTO

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC: AUTO

Load Line Calibration - Enabled

CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum - disabled

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

PCIe Spread Spectrum - disabled

Advanced Menu > CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Setting - 20

C1E Support - enabled (helped lower temps)

Hardware Prefetcher - enabled

Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch - enabled

Intel Virtualization Technology - disabled (helped lower temps)

CPU TM - disabled

Execute Disable Bit - enabled

Intel HT Technology - enabled

Active Processor Cores - All

A20M - disabled

Speed Step - enabled

Turbo Mode - disabled

C-State - enabled (help lower temps)

I tried something interesting and replaced the power board my computer was connected to. It now still flicks on for a second, off for a few seconds, and then starts up ( when OC'd). It hasn't failed starting up in a few days.

3.33Ghz (Bclk 166Mhz X 20)

I'm happy to have the computer like this as it shows no signs of instability while CPU torture testing or long gaming sessions.

The only thing is I'd really like a couple more opinions on whether you think it would be okay for the computer to run like this or could it possibly damage any system components?

Thanks again.