Are all these components compatible?

I've swapped out parts and the such, but never put all the components together to make a PC. I'm making one for my friend, and I think these parts bring it to the performance level he requires.

It is a picture of Ebuyer basket with the components.

He will also be using a Nvidia GeForce 6800 (yes I know, old, but it's sufficient for his needs) and a standard DVD Read and write drive.

Just really want to know if things are all compatible and if I require any extras to make the computer work (apart from a power cable, monitor and operating system). I also think he has a SATA Hard Drive that he will use in the build.

One last question, once I've put all the components together, how do I go about actually getting the pc to work, is it as simple as trying to boot with the windows setup disk in or do I need to do something else?

Thanks guys.

post-72488-12791318238015_thumb.png

I've swapped out parts and the such, but never put all the components together to make a PC. I'm making one for my friend, and I think these parts bring it to the performance level he requires.

It is a picture of Ebuyer basket with the components.

He will also be using a Nvidia GeForce 6800 (yes I know, old, but it's sufficient for his needs) and a standard DVD Read and write drive.

Just really want to know if things are all compatible and if I require any extras to make the computer work (apart from a power cable, monitor and operating system). I also think he has a SATA Hard Drive that he will use in the build.

One last question, once I've put all the components together, how do I go about actually getting the pc to work, is it as simple as trying to boot with the windows setup disk in or do I need to do something else?

Thanks guys.

Hello and welcome to OCC.

Don't see any photographs or links in your posting so can't help much at the moment. ;)

according to the link you have, no, the processor is socket AM3, the motherboard is socket 775, BIG difference, 775 is intel, so a core 2 duo or core 2 quad would work with it, but AM3 is AMD, but the others seem to work, if you get an AM3 mobo, more than likely you'll need DDR3 ram though

All good points by Ragnar.

OP - since you've missed on the motherboard/cpu compatibility, lets assume that you may need a little more help than you realize. Not trying to insult you but just trying to help you do the best job you can.

A few things you need to determine and then let us make recommendations on hardware;

1. Does your friend want an AMD or Intel based rig?

2. If it is an Intel rig, does he want socket 775, socket 1156 or socket 1366?

3. If it is an AMD rig, does he want AM2 or AM3

4. Is the existing GeForce card AGP or PCIe interface?

5. Does your friend want DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?

All good points by Ragnar.

OP - since you've missed on the motherboard/cpu compatibility, lets assume that you may need a little more help than you realize. Not trying to insult you but just trying to help you do the best job you can.

A few things you need to determine and then let us make recommendations on hardware;

1. Does your friend want an AMD or Intel based rig?

2. If it is an Intel rig, does he want socket 775, socket 1156 or socket 1366?

3. If it is an AMD rig, does he want AM2 or AM3

4. Is the existing GeForce card AGP or PCIe interface?

5. Does your friend want DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?

I'm very new to making computers and I do understand I need help, don't worry no offense taken.

He's on a lower budget, so it'll have to be AMD.

I honestly don't know what the difference between AM2 and 3 is... Explain?

I don't know what card it is, and he's much less knowledgeable with these things than even me so how could I get him to check without having to open up his PC?

Again, on a low budget so I think DDR2 will have to do.

Most likely it's a PCI-E 6800, but find out. What is he running now?? (or in the case that the old machine is dead, what WAS he running??) if it was a prebuild like a Gateway or HP or something just shoot us the model number so we can tell what board it had??

Right, I think I have the right motherboard for the job now.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968

That motherboard will do but you need DDR3 1066MHz memory to run with the Athlon II X2 250. If you go for budget memory then you aren't guaranteed compatibility with the motherboard but 99/100 it's usually OK. You need to confirm the gfx card is PCI-E and not AGP. I would spend a little more on the power supply and get a better quality unit. If money is tight then something like the OCZ StealthXStream 500W at £39.94 would be far better.

Where in the UK are you?

I've heard friend's say that OCZ are good PSU's, and also, you can get some descent card for under 60-70 USD (by descent i mean better than the 6800) such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130390 if hes not doing much gaming, then you could get something even cheaper, depends on his needs, or maybe a ATI HD 5450, those would be better than the 6800 and you can get them even cheaper, again, depends on what the budget and purpose of the computer is, if you could provide us with that information we could be of more help to you.

I shall ask him about the current motherboard tomorrow so we can figure out if it's PCIe.

And okay I'll swap in for some 1066mhz DDR3 but please remember his budget is low.

As for the PSU, I'm gonna stick with what I have as it has gotten positive reviews and is very cheap, can't afford to spend on unnecessary extras even if it sacrifices a little quality.

The 9400 is not greatly better, while it's newer it's in a much lower rank in the series, being a 4, not an 8. The 5450 is on about the same level as the 6800, I think he's happy with it for the time being.

The computer will be used for some light gaming (not often, not particularly new games, not particularly high settings) but mainly as a fast home PC for general use.