Anyone know anything about Viper security systems?

d3bruts1d

I've got an Explorer ('99 Sport) with a ~10 year old Viper security system in it. Everything has been fine, up until about six months ago. When I arm / disarm the system, there is no audible tone however the system does arm/disarm, un/lock the doors, and flash the front/rear lights like normal. I can even set off the panic alarm. When the Explorer is running, the Viper's LED indicator on the dash is solid which aside from the lack of audible confirmation is the only other indicator that something isn't exactly right - That LED use to be off unless the system was armed, in which case it would blink.

I cannot find any useful support information on the Viper's website and Circuit City did the install 10+ years ago, and since they aren't around anymore I cannot exactly take it back to them.

Any clue what is wrong and what I need to do in order to fix the issue?

I 2nd Best Buy. I had them install a car alarm in our Jeep. And yes it is a Viper alarm.

Allot Better better than what the dealer had wanted to install.

If your not comfortable doing it yourself, BB should be able to. Most decent car audio shops will service them also.

If you are comfortable with messing with it yourself, try taking out the horn, and hooking up a small speaker (preferably one you dont care much about) in its place to test and see if it works. Those horns wear out just like speakers do.

If your not comfortable doing it yourself, BB should be able to. Most decent car audio shops will service them also.

If you are comfortable with messing with it yourself, try taking out the horn, and hooking up a small speaker (preferably one you dont care much about) in its place to test and see if it works. Those horns wear out just like speakers do.

Have no problem working the system myself, and would prefer to. I know the horn works since it sounds when the panic or alarm are set off.

Hrmm.. Their is a good chance that the computer in the system is dying. I would try and get a hold of someone to help you with this or maybe know whats wrong and can get you a new part ordered.

Its very possible that one of the sensors have failed as well.

Only thing I can think of trying would be to Open your Drivers up.

On the Keypad hold these buttons down for about one second each in this Pattern: Lock, Unlock, Lock then go ahead an close your front drivers door.

Wait give or take 5 to 10mins and then try arming the system again. See if it Blinks.

Another thing to try (I am not sure how your car was setup.) but unhook the battery for give or take 10mins or so. (Just unhook the negative or positive cable from the battery.) Hook it back up. Then try it again.

Did your Viper have some sort of Memory setting? I know some of the newer models they have a Memory thing you can plug in to the lighter and it like saves your Alarm data or something. (I don't really know, I have never worked much with them.)

These things have always been too much of a pain in the butt to setup and work with for me to want to install.

EDIT: Oh the reason I asked if you had a memory thing for the Viper because when you unhook the battery your gonna wipe the info from the brain of the viper unit. (If anything was stored.)

Man I am scatter brained right now..

Chuck the button thing worked. Awesome! Guess that means that somehow I managed to hit that same combination before.

*Shrugs* dunno.gif

Just glad it worked!