Windows loading error

JamB

After the acer screen that has the option to get to setup via F2 it gets a black screen and a white not sure if it's an underscore or a dash but it just blinks at the top left corner..Would that be a windows problem or a hard drive issue?

You likely have a virus that has trashed your master boot record. What version of windows are you running? I've repaired two of these in the last week.

Can you get into the BIOS and confirm that the drives are at least detected?

Sorry for the double post.

I had a monitor that died on me do the samething.

HUH!? Now that's what I call a useless post. :down:

ANYWAYS...! I like wevesspot thought about the MBR. I get those too sometimes due to a sudden shutdown, If I get that, I will cut all power and let it sit for awhile. SOMETIMES it works. However; as wevesspot said; I've also repaired some like that and I would say it's a 50-50 thing between the HD and windows. Maybe not but...

ok it is not the hard drive I was able to get it to boot up with the windows disk. So MBR is looking like the suspect.

oh this sucks Here goes the Reinstall.... I just bought Acronis True Image Home 2010 and another 500GB drive to Clone the installed drive after the reinstall is complete... here goes 6 hours of Patching Windows.... Grrr I was hoping to avoid this...

Yeah so much for that I can not even get the windows disk to load now even when set to boot cd first. And I don't have time to mess with it so I'm just going to buy another laptop temporarily