Overclocking a GTS 250 1GB

r!k

Hey, I got this PNY GTS 250 a while ago, a couple days ago I started thinking about overclocking it even though I don't really need to, but I want to get the best of this card. Problem is I don't have any cooling device and I doubt I'll find one anytime soon. Generally the temp of my GPU ranges between 47C - 63C (while playing games like MW2)

Bottom line, I wanna know if it's safe to OC my GPU without having a cooling device and how much will I be gaining performance-wise.

Thanks

Hey, I got this PNY GTS 250 a while ago, a couple days ago I started thinking about overclocking it even though I don't really need to, but I want to get the best of this card. Problem is I don't have any cooling device and I doubt I'll find one anytime soon. Generally the temp of my GPU ranges between 47C - 63C (while playing games like MW2)

Bottom line, I wanna know if it's safe to OC my GPU without having a cooling device and how much will I be gaining performance-wise.

Thanks

yes, you're most likely to be limited by voltage long before temperature. I'd recommend either EVGA Precision tool or MSI Afterburner for the overclocking programs!

yes, you're most likely to be limited by voltage long before temperature. I'd recommend either EVGA Precision tool or MSI Afterburner for the overclocking programs!

Well how do I know whether I can handle the voltage or not? My power supply is 700 watts. The gts 250 asks for a 450 watts power supply minimun. Should I be ok?

Well how do I know whether I can handle the voltage or not? My power supply is 700 watts. The gts 250 asks for a 450 watts power supply minimun. Should I be ok?

I mean like to overclock farther than you'll be able to go, you'll need to voltmod but don't worry about that. I was just saying your stock cooler is well capable of dealing with the temperatures you'll end up with when you max it out! :woot:

@quamar: What has your post to do with overclocking ??

@OP: Once you overclock you must be sure to run some stabilty tests like MSI Kombustor or Furmark to make sure its safe .At what fan speed did you get those temps ?

• 2 weeks later...

@quamar: What has your post to do with overclocking ??

@OP: Once you overclock you must be sure to run some stabilty tests like MSI Kombustor or Furmark to make sure its safe .At what fan speed did you get those temps ?

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. My fan speed is 27 by default, but raises to 35 while playing.

By the way, I already have Furmark. Also, other programs like EVGA Precision (which I used to OC my previous GPU) and RivaTuner which I use to check GPU temp at all times.

Edited by r!k